Apple Senior Rep: "We may wind up replacing them all." (Reception Issue)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soco, Jun 26, 2010.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I was recently rummaging through this thread where some MR readers are reporting 1-800-MY-APPLE reps sending them free Apple Bumpers as compensation for the reception issues and not being able to tell them when it may be resolved.

Of course, I called up and tried my luck, but to no avail.

I did, however, speak to a Senior Apple Representative. I'd post her name but I'm still waiting on the e-mail from them with the details. I'll update the post when I get it.

During the "So you REALLY can't send me a case?" ping pong, she stated, "Honestly sir, we may wind up replacing all of them, every phone with the issue, as it seems hardware related."

I commented on the costs involved in something like that, both in materials and bad PR. She responded with this gem, "Well, if it has to be done..."

Exhilarating...

2. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Fair play to her, she's not skirting the issue she may be facing the reality of it.

They won't be replacing my handset, theres nothing wrong with it like the majority of them out there!

3. fru macrumors member

It sounds like a personal opinion, rather than a company position. But it's unusually candid and shows that people at Apple are slowly realising the scale of this problem.

4. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

That's what I took away from it. I really appreciated her honesty and candor.

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I just hope it doesnt delay my order (July 14th) :(

6. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Didn't even think of that, however I'd much rather they fix the issue (if it is hardware) first, send the next batch of phones out late, than for them to leave it as is and fix it "soon"

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It's hard to tell if she's referring to a recall or just a case-by-case basis in stores. The 3G I have, for example, is the third one I've had. The first two had to be replaced due to warranty issues. One of those issues was relatively minor (my car's BlueTooth handsfree kept dropping off. When I asked if they knew anything about this issue at the Genius Bar, they just swapped the phone "just in case there was a problem with it.").

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not to be rude, but I honestly hope it DOES.

Think about it. If Apple has to replace all of the units that have the reception problem, would you want them to ship out your phone just so you can have it, risking your phone having the same issue, so you'd have to just give it back to them again?

Yes, it would be inconvenient to delay your order, but it would be better if you had the phone and it was RIGHT, instead of getting the phone, having to bring it back, risking that they have enough supply to give you a replacement (and if they don't, delaying you again), to get another phone.

If they get it right prior to 7/14, it's a non-issue (pun intended).

BL.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Umm...you obviously didn't participate in the poll on MR front page, did you? Just in the US only (as of 5:45pm EST), 9,632 votes were for "yes, having problems" and 8,022 were for "no, not having problems". But, thanks for painting the rosy picture Steve!

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Seems like a great way to blow off someone who can afford an iPhone4 but is to cheap to spend $20 - $30 on a case.

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I hate how true that is...I am fine spending $200 for an iPhone (and paying $600 for it over the contract), but I don't like the idea of spending 20 or 30 bucks on a case. Part of it is because I hate cases, just in general. I can get films for $21 plus shipping, but I don't really like that either. Naked just seems the best. You get the oleophobic coating and get to use the phone in all its glory, just as it was intended to be used.

12. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

If they do replace, you will have to take it to the genius bar and they'll replace just like if you had a problem with a previous phone. I think they should delay the jul 14th date but only if they are still fixing it. People who have not received their phones yet should have priority, everyone else just hold it differently for a week.

13. Maaz macrumors 6502a

I think she just said that so you would get off the phone.

14. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Yes, because these 16,000 people are obviously an accurate sample set of the entire iPhone 4 community...

/s

They're not going to replace or recall anything. Nobody is dying as a result of this.

15. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

I have always spent more than that on cases for my previous iPhones but I don't like rubber or silicone things that are permanently attached. I use leather sleeves, which protect the phone from drops or keys in pockets, and then remove the phone from the case to use it. Clearly I was expecting too much to actually be able to hold the phone while browsing the web...

16. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

I seriously doubt a low level employee would make such a statement.

17. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

That was unnecessarily rude. In fact, I spent over $70 on protection already. For what it's worth, I have the Griffin Reveal on my phone and don't suffer any issues with it on, so I'm fine. Secondly, I don't want the Apple Bumper albeit just for sh*ts & giggles because of the design flaws (no custom headphones, etc.) Third, if I did want one to actually use, the point would be that I shouldn't have to shell out $29 for something that fixes an issue that shouldn't be present in the first place. It should be on their dime. The point of asking was to see what conversation I could get going.

In any event, relax. I love you.

Damn, you're right. I guess I'm busted.

18. B Gallagher macrumors regular

Apple's had plenty of replacements programs in the past for Macs - for everything from defective batteries to logic boards. If they did the same for iPhone 4s that are having issues I wouldn't be at all surprised.

19. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Negative. People who made reservations, coughed up the money, and stood in line for god knows how long to get they're device should get priority. People who are still waiting for there devices are obviously using something else, but for a lot of the rest of us this is our only phone.

20. MrTan macrumors regular

MrTan

The op didn't put CONFIRMED in the title, so I'm not convinced.

21. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Me too! I'll be :(/:mad:
    My iPhone 3G is awfully slow. This really sucks.

22. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Lol

23. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Mine seems to be OK, but I use a bluetooth headset when making calls. The few times I held it though, I had no issues. No bumper. I have restored the iPhone as I have had less than stellar battery life...

I want to keep my original phone, purchased on Launch Day, but I need it to keep working.:)

24. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I for one don't like the position Apple has taken on this. Mine does it and i bet all of them do it. The thing is supposed to be a phone isn't it?

25. cferra macrumors member

The statement that was made was made to me was that they are aware of the "Famous" reception issue and that they are making every effort to resolve the issue quickly be it in software or via a hardware replacement program if necessary once the issue is isolated and a resolution is in place.

It would be horribly bad PR if apple does not address this issue head on, even if the end result was adding an additional layer of coating or some type of non conductive finish in the outer ring and replacing the affected phones.

I am sure that there are some enterprising twirps out there already lawyering up to take this issue to class-action.

Chris