Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD's Ina Fried caught up with Apple's Phil Schiller after the introduction of the iPhone 5 this afternoon. She asked him about a number of new technologies that did -- and didn't -- make it into the company's new flagship phone.

NewImage20.png
It's not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem, Schiller said. "Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today."

As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it's not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.

"Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated," Schiller said.
Fried also spoke to Schiller about the new Lightning connector. He noted that it wasn't possible to make devices any thinner with the existing 30-pin Dock Connector, though the company doesn't take changing the plug -- which had been around for 9 years -- lightly. "This is the new connector for many years to come," Schiller explained.

Article Link: Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller on NFC, Wireless Charging and the Lightning Connector

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
What are your opinions on the change? considering that Phil Shiller said they could have made the device thinner using the same 30Pin connecter, do you think it was actually necessary to change it? Why, or why not?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Kind of agree about the wireless charging, but would have liked to see apple make NFC work well, so well that we do need it.:D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I think Phil has good points, but he also doesn't point out how these additions would hurt. It's not as if wireless charging gets rid of regular cable charging, for example.

I agree with everything he said.

So are we stuck with usb 2.0 for another 9 years?

I am highly confident that Apple could update it to usb 3/thunderbold without changing the "lighting" connector.

Plus I also forsee people using the cable to sync to a computer less and less over the next 9 years. I personally haven't plugged my iPhone into my Mac since iOS 5 hit nearly a year ago.

meh

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
What are your opinions on the change? considering that Phil Shiller said they could have made the device thinner using the same 30Pin connecter, do you think it was actually necessary to change it? Why, or why not?

Thankfully, I don't have any peripherals that I use with my iPhone other than the cables themselves, so it doesn't affect me too much (though getting new cables will be annoying).

He said that it wasn't possible to make them thinner.

He noted that it wasn't possible to make devices any thinner with the existing 30-pin Dock Connector...

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I think Phil has good points, but he also doesn't point out how these additions would hurt. It's not as if wireless charging gets rid of regular cable charging, for example.

If it adds no appreciable value then including it only adds cost and complexity. I'm glad they didn't bother with it. It's gimmicky.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
USB 3 isn't capable of doing all the things the dock connector can, such as passing through audio and video, and other things, etc.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I am highly confident that Apple could update it to usb 3/thunderbold without changing the "lighting" connector.
If it's possible, and their laptop and desktop product lines support Thunderbolt and/or USB 3.0 already, why not do it now?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
So, why not USB 3?
USB 3 only carries digital data and power. It doesn't offer things like simple iPod signalling, analog audio and video signals (for relatively simple connection to other A/V devices).

In future iOS devices, USB 3 could be implemented for the data portion of the interface, but a connector with more pins is needed for the additional functionality.

Note that various docks and cable adapters from the old 30-pin connector have offered line-out audio, composite video, S-Video, component video, HDMI, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a USB 3 compatible iPhone 5 prototype sitting in a lab somewhere in Cupertino.

My guess is that current USB 3 chip solutions for mobile devices were evaluated and rejected as relatively power hungry (plus only a few computers actually have USB 3 interfaces) but as the standard becomes more prevalent and more power-thrifty chips are available, that this technology will eventually make it into an iOS device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.