Apple sent me 3 new batteries!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r88my, Dec 12, 2007.

1. r88my macrumors regular

To cut a long story short my battery was faulty on my MBP and i contacted apple who duly sent me a replacement without charge after returning my old one (even though the MBP was over a year and a half old, thanks apple). Great. Then strangely a couple of weeks later, they sent me another one... then the day after that another one came...

So I now have a brand new battery in my laptop and 2 more sitting on my desk. The strange thing is i have had no correspondence from apple about the latter two, and when i try and chase up my repair i.d it just comes up with "repair completed, your battery has been received etc". I can't really be bothered calling up apple as it is a nightmare trying to get through to them (30mins on hold atleast) and i'm not particularly desperate to speak to them as i have no support issues and it may just be a present from apple for being a patient customer :rolleyes:

Anyone else in the UK had an experience like this?

2. MichaelThomas macrumors member

Wow.

I need t ring apple tomorrow about my battery. it gets to about 40% and the machine just shuts off. However I can reboot it and will be around 38%. surely it should only shutdown if there's no battery left? Its only started happening since I updated my firmware. And another problem is once ive restarted it, and its taken 5 minutes to load, I have to restart the machine again otherwise safari wont connect to the server! GRRRR

Hope they send me three new batteries. It may just be the firmware and not the battery however the battery is no longer sitting flush and starting to "expand" a little when it gets hot. I can even get my thumbnail under the outer casing when I take the battery out.

3. feyn-man macrumors regular

Maybe APPLE have the foresight that the 1st one they give you will not work in several weeks. So they are avoiding the hassle to do that when it happened.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

I would stop making excuses and give them a call to inform them of the error. It's the right thing to do.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's pretty lucky. I'll take one of those batteries off of yours hands if you want to get rid of it though.

6. r88my thread starter macrumors regular

Try this link that someone posted in another thread and which is how i got mine replaced http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

Wow they would really do that? Might just hold on to them after all... :rolleyes:

7. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

If you can't get through to Apple, share them around with some forum members suffering battery problems.

8. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

even if he did, they wouldn't make him send them back since it was their error, I think.

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

they will bill your credit card.......... and karma will get you!!!

10. r88my thread starter macrumors regular

Needless to say that i will be contacting apple about the error (after all they do have my credit card details)... Who knows they may decide its not worth their while paying for the shipping and stocking etc. and just let me keep them!

11. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Yeah I really doubt that apple wants to have the hassle of you sending back some random batteries to them. I think that they have plenty back at their warehouse, and they aren't going to be running out of them any time soon that you would really need to send it back to them.

12. feyn-man macrumors regular

In fact, what you do will not work. APPLE will sent you one new battery per month from now on. Until they had sent out all their inventory. Your resistance doesn't mean anything.

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Apple knows what's best for you. If they sent you 3 batteries, there must have been a good reason. Don't ask why; have faith in Jobs and He will take care of you.

14. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I have the same exact problem. My MBP will shut down @ 40%. Apple is sending me a new battery. i let you know if this fixed the issue.

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

Seriously, 30 minutes on hold is optimistic.

I'd send 'em an email, I wouldn't endure the hassle of trying to call them on the phone. I suspect that it's unlikely they'll want them back.

16. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Just send these two back... Apple has been fair with you, do the same.

Good luck,
    sash

17. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Send them back!

Apart from being immoral, and it wouldn't be worth the hassle/expense when Apple do discover you have them.

18. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

there wouldn't be any expense as there is nothing they can do legally...

19. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Ebay the two you don't need. Make a profit off of Apple's mistake :)

They can't prove you received three ;)

20. MichaelThomas macrumors member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if it fixes the problem.
    I rang apple today and the guy on the phone said it was an individual problem and I would have to take it to a repair center to have some tests done on it and it may require new parts!

The only place I can take it to though has a bad reputation for not being very good!

21. r88my thread starter macrumors regular

Have you checked this out

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

If any of it applies to you you should be eligible for a free replacement

22. r88my thread starter macrumors regular

Well i finally spoke to apple after a long phone wait and they let me keep them!!! NOT! ;)

Although it does seem they had no idea that they sent them to me and had no record of it, they asked me to send them back, which is fine, after all i would have felt uncomfortable had i kept them and not followed it up properly. Bottom line is my battery problem was sorted swiftly which is all that matters to me...

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

Good to hear your problem was sorted out, and that you did the right thing. :)

24. ivan1234 macrumors regular

25. Hmac macrumors 68020

So, how are they getting the batteries back? Are they arranging a FedEx pre-paid pickup? Or are you picking up the tab for returning the batteries?