Apple sent me an empty envelope

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GeekyGrannie, Apr 14, 2016.

1. GeekyGrannie macrumors member

GeekyGrannie

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

I ordered a Classic Buckle band for my watch through the Apple online store. After receiving it I immediately noticed that one side was not latching to the watch properly. I worked with it for a few days and then decided it wasn't getting any better, so I set up a return/exchange online. This itself was a bit of a frustrating process. It took three tries for me to get to the right place/person to accomplish this.

I was finally able to arrange a transaction whereby Apple would first place a hold on my credit card for the price of a new band, and then ship the new band to me with the understanding that I would then return the defective band to Apple and they would release the hold on my edit card. Or so I thought ...

When the package arrived that should have contained the new band and instructions for returning the defective one, the envelope was completely EMPTY! I had a long conversation with AppleCare, including a very long wait on hold while they tried to figure out what happened, only to be told I need to wait 2 business days for them to "investigate".

Does anyone know what usually happens in a case like this?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

They take this sort of thing very seriously. You did the right thing by calling up as soon as you received it. Needless to say, they will replace the band.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like they sent it but someone wanted more than you.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Which brings my question: Was the envelope compromised in any way? Otherwise it could have been a packaging error (I've gotten a couple from other retailers).

5. GeekyGrannie thread starter macrumors member

GeekyGrannie

The envelope was not compromised. I looked it over carefully thinking there was a string or something to pull to open it, but there wasn't. I just carefully tore it along the top.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Wondering if they sent you the envelope for return and maybe there was a error in communication.

7. GeekyGrannie thread starter macrumors member

GeekyGrannie

That was what I expected: a return address label and instructions for returning the defective band along with the new replacement band. The AppleCare senior advisor I spoke to confirmed that was the case. But the envelope was completely empty. Definitely a case of ESP (error someplace).

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

ESP=Error Someplace :)

9. GeekyGrannie thread starter macrumors member

GeekyGrannie

My mother-in-law used to write that in her checkbook when her balance didn't match her bank statement.

10. GeekyGrannie thread starter macrumors member

GeekyGrannie

Apple just informed me that they need 5 more business days to complete their investigation. I wonder if the FBI could help ...:rolleyes:

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you are depending on the FBI . . . .

Sounds like the shipper is going to do their OWN investigation. The packages are weighed several times and if it went missing in the process they will know.

Sorry you are having to wait.

12. GeekyGrannie thread starter macrumors member

GeekyGrannie

Thanks for that. I admit the wait is killing me.