Apple sent me wrong 5k iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aebloomfield, Nov 1, 2014.

1. aebloomfield macrumors newbie

So after setting up my new imac I thought something was odd when I realized it had maxed out in specs. I only upgraded the cpu and gpu but this had 32gb ram and 1tb ssd. The serial number on the box isn't the same as the serial of the actual imac. Do I just keep quiet and enjoy their mistake? My only concern is I want to buy AppleCare In a few months and this machine has it already. It obviously wouldn't allow me to register the Mac to my name since its attached to another Apple ID already. Thoughts?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Keep it. When you come to buy Applecare, they are hardly going to say we made a mistake, can you send it back please. It's not the first time I have heard if this happening.

3. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

Honesty is the best policy. If you call they probably will chalk it up and tell you to keep it.

4. fathergll macrumors 6502a

You can play stupid. Call about the id not working. If they say "hey we sent you the wrong iMac give it back" just refuse as you already have data on there with applications loaded up and you can't afford down time because of their mess up.

5. Col Vandal macrumors member

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

If you have to ask about wether to be honest or not your already in trouble.

7. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I would have hoped you would not have had to come to a public forum to ask this question. I would like to think it would have been obvious.
    But at 54 years old, I see more attitudes changing. No judgement, just an observation. OP, you know what you want to do, why come here and try to validate your decision?

8. Pjrufus macrumors 6502

OP, just call them. As was said earlier, they may just say keep it. At least you can get the serial no. straightened out, get it registered and cleared so you can buy AC, or if anything else happens while under warranty, etc.

9. apfelmann macrumors 6502

as far as I know apple care is only linked to the serial number, not an apple id

like others said, I am 99% sure apple will tell you to keep it, as they save shipping costs and could only resell the imac you now have as refurbished

10. forg0t macrumors member

If it makes you feel better I can swap you, I have just the upgraded CPU and GPU :].

Just keep it, Apple is robbing people with their RAM and SSD upgrade costs. They won't go bankrupt from this tiny mistake.

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

As mentioned, I would just call them up and explain the situation. Let them know that you've already loaded software and populated it with our data. I'm nearly certain they will tel you to keep it and they'll sort out the AppleCare for you.

Bryan

12. RoastingPig, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i ordered a client a refurbished 6 core mac pro w/ d500 16gb ram and 256gb ssd. that sucker came in the mail with the 1tb and 32gb of ram.

I called apple ..i told them what happen and the first guy on the phone was confused. I finally talked to his supervisor who i explained to that my client was already working on a project with the mac pro and the guy on the phone told me to keep it

13. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

You know what? Apple could afford to do this with EVERYONE and still do just fine :)

14. Seramir macrumors member

Seramir

Did you purchase the computer with a credit card? Apple may decide to bill you later the difference once they found out the mistake. :p

Also, it seems like that computer was meant for another customer. And that customer may have ended with your computer or someone else's. They would be pretty pissed...

But dang, you got like $1k+ worth of free hardware upgrades. I wish Apple makes that kind of mistake when building my computer.