Apple sent me wrong graphics card!? What to do?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ColeUK, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ColeUK macrumors member

I just purchased my refurbed iMac a little over a month ago,

I have just noticed when browsing through my graphics card specs that I have the 'ATI HD 4850 512mb' Graphics Card installed, instead of the 'nVIDIA GE 130 512mb' which I wanted and that was listed under the specs when I purchased the iMac from the Apple Refurb Store!?

What should I do?

Either way I will contact Apple to clarify what card I had purchased if they can tell me, and if I should have had the nVIDIA card, where we go from there? I am aware that the initial 14 day period has elapsed now which may cause problems. The order details and invoices just state .../512/... but not the model, which also leaves me in the dark!

Should I just stick with the ATI card anyway? I hear the problems with the card on iMacs i.e Crashes etc...has all been sorted now?

I am adament the refurb listing stated nVIDIA, as I made a timely decision and studied the specs before making the purchase!

I intend to utilise the card for playing games like Flight Sim X and others mainly, also graphic and design based programs if requiring the graphics card for any reason.

I am also aware there maybe some T&C's or small print that state that as a refurb I may not get the exact specs I ordered?

Thoughts anybody?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Lucky!

Do nothing! There is nothing you can do! Your serial number will be correct, but the specs will be different than they think. That won't matter, because it is impossible to upgrade on your own, so you can just tell them that it was shipped like that when you ordered it.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It seems you won the Refurbished Lottery! The ATI 4850 is one of the best graphics card out there so keep it. I think it out performs the Nvidia GT 130 but I'm not sure.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The refurbs come with the listed "minimum specs" which was there when you bought it -- they MAY also come with extra upgrades.

The ATI would be classified as a more expensive upgrade.

www.barefeats.com

I think you may find the ATI card performs a bit better under OS X. However, if you want to function under windows, you may complain.

Though calling Apple that 30 days later that they messed up and accidentally sent you a card costing $50 more .... :confused:

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Be happy, you have the best video card for the iMac. The issues have been resolved yes.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I wonder if anyone else was lucky enough to a get a ATI 4850 in a refurb 2.93GHz iMac.

8. m1cr0ch1p macrumors newbie

oh my gosh!! NICE!!
    No need to complain!! Just keep quiet! haha xDD
    I have the ATI 4850 card myself~ It's absolutely AMAZING!!
    You're super lucky.

And yes the problems have been resolved, apparently since April or so when an update came out from Apple =)
    Besides, if you haven't had any crashes yourself after all these months, you don't have to worry(?)

Congrats!

9. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

You got lucky. ATI makes much better cards than nVIDIA.

10. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

ATI Cards and Windows?

Fair enough, See how I get on with the ATI, I am looking to download/install Windows 7 RC 64bit RC today. What do you guys recommend?

Reason being I want to play Flight Sim X and a few other Windows based games.

Also Sun Baked or anyone, What's the concern with the ATI running under Windows on mac?

Thanks All for your positive and reassuring feedback as I find my feet on my new iMac! :)

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Under Mac OS X, the ATI drivers seem to be soo much better. Though we tend to have a lot of wasted potential here with our version of drivers made for Open GL.

Under Windows, the drivers are a lot more mature. And DirectX can alter things a bit ... so looking at the two cards game performance or Open GL performance for the pro apps can "possibly" yield different performance values.