Apple sent my mac with a mini guitarist inside, HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mpt-matthew, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

:confused:

I keep hearing this funny noise, i'm sure its coming from my mac. It sounds like someone plucking a guitar string (ping!)
    I've gone into Force Quit and the only thing open is iTunes (its not my music, i stopped it), Entourage, and Chrome.
    Nothing seems to happen when i hear it (no notification), everything normal.
    It doesn't happen allot (i have heard it say 10 times over the past week), but it's annoying me because i want to know what it is.
    GRRR :eek:

2. 184550 Guest

The only time I hear a noise like that is when a DVD that I'm burning has finished, thus resulting in a ping-like noise.

Make a log of when you hear it, Day, Time, Apps open, etc.. and make a Genius appointment.

3. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh, thats a different "ping" its more like a guitar pluck (onomatopoeia was never my strong point).
    I'm pretty sure they will laugh at me if i tell them im hearing strange noises.

I've just moved from windows (You just get the default "bleep" noise there), no fancy noises; and im still learning the new noises of the mac.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a mini guitarist. It comes standard with every copy of Mac OS X, and there's no way to turn it off. :D

Seriously, try Activity Monitor to see what apps and processes you have running. Most will not show up on the Force Quit menu. You've probably selected a setting or installed a 3rd party app that's doing it. You mentioned Entourage. Is it using a sound to alert you to new mail or events?

5. 184550 Guest

Yeah, I just got my first iMac in June, so I'm with you on still learning all the ins and outs of a mac. :D

6. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

wait....is this coming from inside the mac (some hardware component), or some digital noise through the mac's speaker system???

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Mini guitarist, bah. I ordered mine with a 12-inch pianist.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Figuring out if it's coming from the speakers or from a component inside the computer is critical here to figuring out the source of the problem. Try plugging in a set of headphones and see if the sound comes through them or if it's coming from inside the computer.

jW

9. aerowave macrumors member

If you're running entourage, try this:

Open it, and choose Preferences from the Entourage menu. Then select Notification on the right hand side.
    Then click on the little speaker for "No mail sound" – is this what you're hearing? If it is, untick it and the sound will be gone!

That sound plays every time Entourage checks for email, and doesn't find anything new.

10. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

YES YES YES YES YES! :D
    Thanks, i knew it would be those lot at microsoft hiding guitarists :cool: inside their software. Why would i want to know that i have no new mail :confused:
    Pointless and now disabled.
    THANKS