Apple Sent the Wrong MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobbleheadbob, Mar 28, 2008.

1. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Ordered a new 17" MBP with a hi-res screen on-line from the Apple store on Saturday. The only thing I customized was the screen.

It came yesterday, a day earlier than the shipping estimate. Everything's good so far, right? I get home from work last night, excited, unbox, start it up, install my files from the Time Machine backup, and notice that the hi-res screen doesn't look much different than my current older 15" LCD MBP screen.

I go into system profiler and, sure enough, it's a 1680x1050 LCD screen, not the hi-res LED screen. Everything else looks OK, but this really $#%@s. This was one of the main reasons I decided to upgrade.

Anyway, I call Apple and after almost an hour on the phone (most of it on hold) and 3 transfers to different people who tell me they have to transfer me to another area (I think I ended up the same area I started at), they tell me they will send me a return authorization via e-mail. This takes 24 hours -- why does it take 24 hours? I have no idea why they can't just send the return info right away, and neither did the rep... After I get the return info, I have to take the MBP to FedEx, and then after Fed Ex notes the return in their system and notifies Apple (which could take another day), Apple will begin the process of sending me another. Bottom line, it looks like it's gonna take AT LEAST another week to fix the problem.

Just venting, but I'm totally bummed about this whole experience so far, from the mistake, to the phone call, to the additonal delay. :( :mad:

2. izibo macrumors 6502

If you take it to a fedex kinkos and request a drop off receipt they will scan it right then and there. You can then call your contact at Apple, they can look up that it was indeed dropped off and will start processing your new unit. It savs a day or so.

Also, Apple shipped very fast when I was in a similar situation. Mailed back my unit on Monday, got the new one on Friday (from China no less!)

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey, be happy that atleast you have another MBP to use while your new ones being exchanged.
    Some people don't even have a computer to use when apple f**** up.
    Think of the poor ones :rolleyes:

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I did what izibo suggests when they were replacing a unit for me-- rather than the week they said it was going to take, I had my new MacBook in two days! Once they know it is on it's way to them, they will ship out your new unit asap!

5. bobbleheadbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Thanks for the ideas. Appreciate it. Like I said, I was really just venting. More of an inconvenience than a real problem and not a big deal in the grand scheme of life. :D

Now if :apple: can just send me the return authorization and labels before the close of business today!!

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I see that you are in NC. Are you close to an :apple: store? What about asking Apple to perform the exchange with a machine in a store? I think I read on here somewhere that stores are stocking 17HD configs. Seeing as how it's Apple's screwup, they should be able to make good in store I would think.

7. bobbleheadbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I asked them that last night on the phone. They said no b/c it's a custom configuration. I think the :apple: Store here (Southpark) has 17" MBPs with the hi-res screen, but only has them in the 2.6 ghz and 200 GB 7200 rpm HDD config. Mine was for the 2.5 ghz and the 250 GB HDD. I want the extra HD space or I might've pushed them a little harder to see if I get a local exchange.

8. wallis.09 macrumors newbie

To be quite honest, i don't see why you should have to wait. the new MBP, seeing as they'll have it in stock SOMEWHERE, should be sent out asap thus getting to you asap also... this looks like a total screw-up to me. 24 hours is ages. Even if apple can fix it, it should have been done faster. This farce shouldn't really have happened, there's no point in having to wait... especially when apple have a store close by.

Just a personal opinion, but i think apple are definitely in the wrong here.

9. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

I'd either do the Fedex Kinko as they said OR
    You can have Fedex pickup from you (save some gas!):
    Fedex Pickup

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Oh. In your first post you said the only upgrade was the screen. Oh I see, the 2.6 is the SR model and you bought the Penryn?

Well, regardless, bummer that you could not do in-store exchange and that you have to wait for all these delays to get the machine you ordered in the first place. Did you ask them for some compensation like a free copy of iWork or something? I heard that's an easy one for them to give out (if you'd need/want it...) :)

11. EB66 macrumors 6502

i can understand what your feelin its bad enough having to wait for the computer after you buy it

plus you don't get to feast your eyes on the beautiful high-res screen

12. bobbleheadbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I didn't ask for anything -- although I thought about -- just bent over and took it from :apple:. ;)

Anyway a few days ago I watched my MBP go from Shanghai to Anchorage to Indianapolis to my house. Now it's back in China and I'm back to checking the GD :apple: order status page every couple hours. Still "not yet shipped"! Oh well..... :rolleyes:

13. bobbleheadbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

The replacement came yesterday......and it's awesome!! Loving the new screen! Thanks, :apple: :D

14. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I thought the machines were customized locally in USA. So apples main depot is in shanghai?

15. bobbleheadbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

That's where both of mine came from. Shanghai to Anchorage to Indianapolis to me. Both via Fed-ex. I guess they assemble them and ship from there. Whatever happened to good old, Made-In-The-USA products!? :confused: :(