Apple Series 1 alumium 42mm with an expanded battery

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bad_robot, Mar 13, 2019.

1. bad_robot macrumors newbie

Issue - Watch face is pushed out because the battery expands (gas between battery and its plastic cover)
    Apple fix - Watch replacement with a Series 1 at a cost approaching 90% of a new Series 3 38mm watch or $349 because the watch is older than 3 years. No repair provided by Apple in aus.
    My fix - as face is already displaced, carefully lift it. See internet ifixit site for face removal guide. Pierce puffy plastic covering battery with a pin and deflate the 'balloon', careful not to inhale gas. You can buy a new battery from US or Hong Kong and replace existing crook battery for under $20. Carefully clean inside glass face and area in base of watch where face fits in with alcohol and cotton bud. Replace face. Lay watch down face up and warn glass face with a rag dipped in boiling water, in order to 'reactivate adhesive strip in watch base. Test that adhesive is reactivated and glass face is firmly attached. Or apply a very fine light bead of Sikaflex or silicon sealant around base edge to adhere glass face to watch base.
    Total cost- nil if battery is ok or $20 if not.
    Check many internet fixit sites to see how to remove and replace battery and face.
    Time required to fix - 20 minutes of careful work, do not damage face connector cabling.
    Replacement screen is under aud$25 from Hong Kong, ifixit videos shows how to replace all items.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Just one caveat, if Apple chose to replace it and if the battery bursts into flame then Apple has to cover your damage plus the potential burn on the employee.

Vs. You burn yourself and not being able to blame anyone else other than yourself.

3. bad_robot thread starter macrumors newbie

Never seen a post of an apple series 1 actually catching fire even on this site. However, I found the following that suggests any apple watch can explode. Apple dont seem to want to recognize a battery problem and that is what i determined when I took my series 1 in to an apple 'genius' to get the battery replaced They do not cover any damage let alone a battery itself after 3 years. Seems to be a user whacking issue. My watch is now working ok on a full charge and has not burst into flame, yet.

"There have also been reports of Apple Watches of all models exploding or bursting on users’ wrists. Threads on Apple’s support site suggest that in some cases users are being blamed for the issue, with Apple support staff suggesting the wearers whacked their watches on something without noticing and damaged the devices."

4. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

Apple Watches are disposable items. Since yours is over 3 years old, I guess it’s a S0 watch - which is worth next to zero and pretty useless nowadays anyway. I know mine is and I’m very close to throwing it into the garbage bin.

This is just stuff that happens. Get an S4.

5. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

We also don’t typically see posts about users poking an expanded battery either.

Seriously though, do NOT poke or otherwise try to puncture the battery. You don’t know what chemical mixture is causing the expansion and disrupting the battery could cause serious chemical burn and fire risks. Never ever poke or intentionally destruct a battery...

My suggestion would be to just properly dispose of this watch and upgrade too a series 3 or 4 watch. At this point the series 1 is becoming aged anyways and certainly not worth $350 for a replacement unit.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

OP mentioned twice in two separate posts it’s a ‘Series 1’.

7. AppleHaterLover macrumors 65816

A 3 year old watch cannot be a Series 1.