Apple series

Tmiller728

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Summerville SC
Is there any benefit to the newer apple watches??? I can get a series 1 for cheap and didn’t know if it was worth getting. Or should I save up for a newer series??

Thanks

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The series 1 doesn't have GPS, I don't think, so that would be the biggest factor to consider, if you're going to be using it for running/walking/cycling. Newer models will be faster, the newest model has a larger screen and is thinner...There are definitely benefits to the newer models, but you'd need to tell us how you plan on using it.

Tmiller728

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Summerville SC
I would just wear it and maybe check messages on it instead of pulling phone out of pocket. I don’t want another monthly payment so cellular is a no. I don’t do fitness either lol.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
I don’t do fitness either lol.
Funny, but I bet lots of watch people didn't "do fitness" before their watch. I know I didn't. It was the watch that convinced me to up my fitness, not my fitness demanding a way to track itself. I just got the watch because it looked like it had the potential to be a fun gadget. It has far exceeded those expectations for me, as well as pointing out I could get off my lazy butt more often. It may well be my favorite Apple device.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
When the Apple Watch was announced I though it was a really stupid idea... then I got one and god I love it. I’m probably upgrading from series 2 to series 4 in a couple weeks as a birthday present to myself.

Ludatyk

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2012
Texas
When the Apple Watch was announced I though it was a really stupid idea... then I got one and god I love it. I’m probably upgrading from series 2 to series 4 in a couple weeks as a birthday present to myself.
Upgraded from the S2 SS model and its definitely nice to have a bigger screen. If Apple announced a stainless steel model without cellular, I would prefer that.

But unfortunately, Apple only offers the stainless steel models with cellular capabilities. I decided to buy the model and I’m going to try it for free for a month or two and see if it’s worth it.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Funny, but I bet lots of watch people didn't "do fitness" before their watch. I know I didn't. It was the watch that convinced me to up my fitness, not my fitness demanding a way to track itself. I just got the watch because it looked like it had the potential to be a fun gadget. It has far exceeded those expectations for me, as well as pointing out I could get off my lazy butt more often. It may well be my favorite Apple device.
This x 1000!!!!! This watch has made me work out so much more consistently. I never had any idea it would make me pay this much attention to fitness.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I would just wear it and maybe check messages on it instead of pulling phone out of pocket. I don’t want another monthly payment so cellular is a no. I don’t do fitness either lol.
Then I would say that you’re not a target for the latest Apple Watch, not when a Series 3, or even a Series 4 Apple Watch can accomplish the tasks that you’re looking for. FYI, even if you opt for the cellular model with the Apple Watch, you don’t have to activate it, you can simply use the watch as you normally would, if you decide to use Cellular at a later date, you can activate it then with your carrier.