Apple Service Experience

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fbs1992, Dec 27, 2010.

1. fbs1992 macrumors newbie

I just want to start off saying I am somewhat of an apple fanboy and I also am a proud of owner of a unibody macbook, fast forward to a few days ago when I finally decided to do something about the fact that the battery was swelling so much that the aluminum flap would no longer close. I set up an appointment at the genius bar at my local apple store and head there. I tell the gentleman my problem give him my serial number he informs me my laptop is out of warranty and that the best he can do is offer me a replacement for $99. the price doesnt bother me so much as the fact that this is a defect in the product and potentially dangerous. I thought about mentioning the class action lawsuit from a few years ago but decided to try a different avenue so I thanked him and left.

I called apple care and again received the same answer that I would have to fork over 129 for a new battery, no discount this time. At this point I am upset and give up for the day and try to convince myself that I should just go ahead and buy a new battery.

Some point the next morning I decide that I will call apple again and not take no for an answer. This time the customer service rep was much more friendly though no more helpful he scheduled a time for me to go to a different apple store so I went to this apple store fully expecting to have to make a scent to get a new battery.

Alex who was my genius that afternoon asked my name and what my problem was and then told me to wait for a minute. He comes back with a new battery unwraps it puts it in my macbook to make sure it fits and tells me to have a nice day.

I said all that to say thank You to Alex at the apple store.

Also this is my first post here sorry it was a bit long but I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for providing so much information regarding the expanding battery so I knew some people were getting replacements and others werent.

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You need to send an email to Apple and the store manager.

No wait... Alex will probably get canned for giving out free batteries! :eek:

3. Deamos macrumors member

I don't think he would get fired. I had the same issue. I spoke with Apple Public Relations, and they waved my battery replacement costs as long as my poor 2 year old swelled battery was "defective" and not just past it's life. Went in this morning, they saw the battery and said "Yep, thats defective." Now I have a nice new battery in my 2 year old macbook. No Applecare here and no warranty of any kind.

4. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Obviously if you had a swelled battery it was defective and the manufacturer was responsible.

The local apple store in Norfolk, Va is one to avoid. They void warranties left and right for hard drives and ram!!!!!!!!!! Had to get customer relations to get my warranty back.