Apple Service in Australia (Macbook RSS, I think)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ab2650, Jan 4, 2008.

1. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Hi folks - I need some help, and since I know a few of you are Aussies, this is probably the best place to ask...

My young sister-in-law is on a work program to Australia and just arrived. While downloading pictures to her MacBook (MA700LL/A; 2.0C2D) it "suddenly turned off." The details are sketchy at this point (she left a message) so I don't know if it will turn back on - I would guess so, assuming this is a random shutdown. However, this is the first time I've heard of her computer doing this as she probably would have told me if it happened before.

We bought the computer for her here in the U.S. in May, so the complimentary AppleCare is still in effect; I just don't know how to handle this if I were in Sydney. Are there authorized service places she can take it and have them cover the warranty, or will it need to be mailed in? How is the mail in service in Australia?

I'll be calling her when it's daylight there to get more details - I'm at a bit of a loss diagnosing it from a frantic 20 second voicemail from left in the middle of the night. ;)

Cheers, and Thanks Mates,
    Aaron

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The warranty should still be upheld. Her best bet may be to call Apple Australia Support (133 622), or one of their listed authorised technicians. Best of luck!

3. ab2650 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks mad, I'll give her the info if she needs it. Fortunately, I suppose, I got the whole story out of her... It never shut down, she shut it down, because it gave her a warning about low memory (she doesn't remember the error).

So she went and deleted some files to free up some "memory" (at this point I realized she was talking about the HDD, not RAM) and all was back to normal.

It's only the first week of 2008 and I've already received a frantic international computer-help voicemail at 2am? Damn.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha! It's very nice of you to help her. Tell her to keep 8GB of space free and to not delete any system files. She can't go too far wrong from there.