Apple Service is great!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcpix, Sep 28, 2016.

1. mcpix macrumors regular

Maybe I'm just lucky, but the few times I've needed Apple service over the years, they've always been great.

I have a 2012 rMBP and about 2 years ago (just before my Apple care was going to run out) I decided to clean my screen. Instead of grabbing the screen cleaner bottle, I grabbed the lens cleaner bottle next to it. I sprayed the lens cleaner directly on the screen (something I no longer do!) and as I began to rub the screen I noticed that I was rubbing the anti reflective coating off! I tried to make it better by rubbing with a new cloth, but it just made it worse. When I was done I had a huge 6" "hole" in the center of my screen where the coating had rubbed off. At this time I didn't know that there were some issues with the reflective coating on these MacBooks. I sent it into Apple and admitted my mistake and they still replaced the screen for free!

Fast forward to today. I had read where the screen replacement program was set to expire next month and there were a few spots on my new (2 year old) screen. They weren't big spots but they were toward the center of the screen and sometimes showed up when I was doing some photo editing. I decided I would send it in and see if they would replace it for me. My rMBP also needed a new battery, but I thought I would just send it in for the screen replacement at this time and worry about the battery later.

I received an email today that I should contact them about my rMBP. I was thinking that they had probably denied the screen replacement as they had already replaced the screen once. Instead, they said that my Macbook had been okayed for the free screen replacement, but that I also needed a new battery. The suggested service involved replacing the battery and the top case for $300. I decided to go ahead with the service, but the service rep was having a hard time getting my credit card to work. She put me on hold and when she came back she said that for some reason they were unable to add a charge to the warranty work, so they we're going to replace the battery and top case for free!

Wow! Once again Apple service has gone above and beyond for me. I don't think there are many companies out there that would replace all those parts on a 4 year old laptop for free!

2. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

im with ya there apple is the best of the best when it comes to customer service they always do a great job.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, I hear more positive stories about Apple's service then negative, there's a reason why they top consumer report's satisfaction survey :)

4. mcpix thread starter macrumors regular

I just received my rMBP back from Apple Service. I guess they found some issues with the logic board, and they replaced that too (for free!). So with a new display, new top case, new battery and new logic board, it's like a brand new computer!

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Really?

Remember all the times that Apple refused free repairs for known issues until it get class action lawsuits?

6. Omar Hussain macrumors newbie

Omar Hussain

I had good experience about Apple support until recently when my 6s started to have battery problems after a recent update. I had to take my phone to Apple 5 times here in Canberra and in all cases I was provided everything I could which was just a waste of my and theirs time. They just did not want to own to their mistake of some thing wrong with the iPhone (not just for me but for the numerous people who were venting their frustrations on Apple forums) And kept on saying that it is because of my usage pattern the battery is draining in three hours. After my fifth visit I lost patience and asked the genius guy to call and manager as I did not want to speak to him and do the same reset process again and again. I was at last offered that they will replace my battery but when they were doing that a holder snapped and they had to give me a replacement phone. And Lo be hold everything worked perfectly but it had left a very bad taste about Apple support for me.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice, congrats. Glad you had a positive experience and as I've said above. In my limited dealings with support, it was good, and three is a reason why they top the charts in the Consumer Reports survey :)

8. FeliApple macrumors 6502

I just bought an iPhone 6s a few weeks ago. Two days after buying it, a vertical white line appeared in the middle of the screen. LCD issue, I guess. The issue was not fixed by software solutions, so I took it to the Apple Store. The answer was, literally, 5 seconds after I showed him: No, that definitely is not right, let me get another one for you. I had a screen protector also bought there, they also gave me a new one. No complaints whatsoever, and that type of attitudes are the ones that will help to decide future purchases.