Apple Service is so great!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MicroByte, Apr 5, 2010.

1. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Received my iPad on Saturday from apple.com only to be slightly disappointed by 2 dead pixels on my screen. This wouldn't have been an issue, but one was just off from the very center of the screen.

At first I swore I would not let this get to me, but everytime I pulled up an app or webpage that was white, there it was.

Decided to see if my local Apple store could do anything for me. Long story short, they exchanged it for a new model and it's perfect! :)

Big kudo's to Apple support for such a hassle free experience!

2. jedolley macrumors 68000

Did you call ahead or just drop by? I have what appears to be one dead pixel, and was planning on swinging by tomorrow.

I was going to let it go, but every time i'm on a light background i can't help but stare at it.

3. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

The same thing happened to me. I went in this morning with both my girlfriend's and mine that had some screen issues. Mine had a dead pixel and large debris at the corner. Hers has just a kit if dust or something at the top.

They replaced them both with no questions asked. Both are perfect now!

I am very happy. :)

4. fishepa macrumors regular

Can you do this at a Best Buy store if you bought it from there?

5. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

So you praise apple for giving letting u exchange a faulty product?

oh well

6. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

7. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Cool, the only thing I hated about the Apple service on the day I bought my ipad though is their insistence on using your first name. They asked for it before I went in and then everyone they handed me off to they made sure to introduce me by my name. I appreciate the effort to seem personable, but it just seemed soooo fake.

8. MicroByte thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I praise the fact that it's so easy to walk into an Apple store and be out in a few minutes with a new device with minimal hassle and friendly service. I've dealt with other stores/companies that would not have been so quick to allow exchange to happen. I've had pixel issues in the past with other devices and some would argue that "one are 2 dead pixels is within their tolerances, sorry".

@jedolley - I made my decision while at work so just walked in. Had to schedule and appointment with a Genius so schedule ahead of time if you are planning to go.

9. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

The first Apple product I owned was the first gen iPhone. I had some funky pixels but I was out of warranty. The Apple store replaced it with no questions asked. That alone earned my business.

Oddly enough, I have to exchange my iPad this evening because there were scratches on the screen when it arrived.

10. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

In a word: yes.

Lots of companies have thresholds for replacement, I think officially Apple has a 3 dead pixel threshold.

Especially with the limited stock, this could have been much, muc more stressful.

11. GreenTentacle macrumors newbie

Totally agreed.

I had what was either a dead pixel or two (didn't look to be) or a speck under the glass, about a quarter inch from the border, and the genius bar folks got me swapped out with a brand new one in a few minutes.

They were very reassuring and it was a great gesture when they said "it should be right for you. we'll make it right". Some places/brands may not have been so accommodating so quickly.

Considering what a zoo the fifth ave store was today, I thought I'd be in for a much longer lunch hour.

12. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I had a large piece of dust under the glass. I exchanged and now have two dead pixels in the center area of the screen. I'm thinking of just returning the ipad and waiting for the quality control to improve. I don't want to exchange constantly but on a small screen that I will mostly use for ebooks I expect the screen to have no dust or dead pixels. Is that too much to expect?

13. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

+1.

I went in to Apple store today because a key got popped off my MacBook white keyboard. Long since out of warranty. I didn't feel like wrestling with the tiny little scissors joint and I figured the charge wouldn't be terrible. Turned out there was in fact a little plastic piece broken off...and they replaced the whole keyboard-top. For free. I still don't even really know why it was free, but not complaining.

14. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I had a friend who bought a new LCD HDTV (something over 50") - when he got it home it had a group of 6 or 7 stuck/dead pixels in a group (several were stuck to red, adjacent to several that were black). It was very obvious on pretty much any background. He tried to take it back, but they had a 9 pixel policy unless the pixels were in the center of the screen, so they wouldn't give him a replacement. After several weeks of back and forth with various company representatives, he had a lawyer friend send a fairly threatening letter, which resulted in a replacement. If he didn't happen to be friends with a lawyer who sent a letter for free, he probably would still be stuck with it.

So yes, Apple definitely deserves praise for this.

15. diabolic macrumors 68000

A lot of companies would require you to ship the product back for an exchange.

16. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I decided to try one more time with the hope of receiving and ipad with no dust, dead, or stuck pixels. First one had a large piece of dust that was always visible even if the screen was powered off, the second had a red pixel dead center of the screen and this one has 5 dead/stuck
    pixels (some red and some black).

I guess the ipad won't be for me... I just don't understand Apples quality control on these things. I had 3 acer $299 netbooks and never had a dead pixel. Does Apple even care about the quality of screens they use?!? I just don't get it unless I am that unlucky? I know their service is top
    notch but this is so frustrating.