Apple service; is that the best plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 00Mark, Sep 7, 2012.

1. 00Mark macrumors newbie

I've always wanted an iPhone but never been able to afford one before. A relative is sending me (for free!) her old iPhone 4, which is out of warranty, as it was upgraded to a 4S on her contact.

It apparently has the following problems:

• Wifi only works within a few feet of the router
    • Camera (presumably rear one) doesn't work
    If it's going to replace my trusty Android (and believe me, I want it to...) then I need to fix at least the first problem, which seems to be quite common.

Unfortunately I didn't purchase it (and it's not in warranty) so I would have to pay £125 to give it an Apple service.

1. Would they still service it if I paid this fee, given I didn't buy it?
    2. What would the service entail? Would they fix both problems no matter what their causes were? Would they remove scratches from the screen as well, or even send me an entirely new unit?

At first I thought this sounded ideal but then I realised that were this true, people could just buy a ruined iPhone cheap and then get a replacement for £125...

Thanks, this whole Apple service business is kinda new to me...

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple offers an "out of warranty" repair for iPhones, where, for a price, they simply keep your broken iPhone and issue you a replacement iPhone that is likely (but not guaranteed) to be refurbished.

If it is refurbished, it should come with a brand new battery and a brand new exterior shell. You shouldn't be able to visibly tell that it's not entirely brand new.

It should also come with a warranty (30 days, I think, but not totally sure).

Most people do this at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store, although I think you can have it done via post by calling AppleCare.

If you're taking it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (instead of directly to Apple), I have no idea how they work.

3. 00Mark thread starter macrumors newbie

So essentially I can get a like-new iPhone 4 for £125?

That certainly sounds like a good deal, if they don't require proof of purchase when I do the swap.

Presumably I'd get the same capacity as the one I traded in - I don't yet know what this is going to be...

Thanks for the advice!

4. 00Mark thread starter macrumors newbie

I appear to have reached a slight problem.

The phone arrived full of messages and apps, so I did a factory reset but it now wants me to re-activate it for some reason. Reading around, it seems like I need a SIM from the carrier before this works. How do I find out who the carrier is? And when I do, will any (correctly-sized) SIM card from that network work, or does it have to be a specific sort? Cheers