Apple service replacement parts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clarifiante, Aug 23, 2015.

1. clarifiante macrumors newbie

hi all

been an avid reader and follower of the forums. lots of stuff here has helped me solve issues with my macbook pro retina 15.

now i have two specs of dust embedded in my screen which can only be seen when you dim down the screen and view it up close. i am contemplating taking into an Authorized Service Provider but i'm just curious about their replacement parts. are they new or used?

the reason why i ask is because i find it hard to swallow if it is indeed the latter as i would essentially be swapping out a new screen for an old one which could have a shorter lifespan than the screen i currently have. would appreciate any comments/feedback/suggestions

thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Most parts are refurbs. Ironically these parts are tested far more thoroughly. It's essentially new, in everything but name.

3. clarifiante thread starter macrumors newbie

hi thanks for the response, so would you say that bringing it back for replacement would be a worthwhile switch?

4. Mr Retina macrumors regular

Mr Retina

Most of these parts, especially mobile devices have service parts that are "remanufactured". Basically the part is rebuilt tested and certified more rigorously on the man-line, than any "new" part that people always seem to want. They don't sell customers spit shine refurb products. They won't waste a perfectly good screen, logic board, camera, etc on parts that are recycled or service swapped in the store. I highly recommend getting it replaced. Just know that parts added outside of warranty are only guaranteed for 90-days, unless you're still in warranty beyond 90-days. Cheers

5. clarifiante thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the response. i've put my unit in for service. here;s hoping for the best, its annoying how easily dust gets stuck in the screen