Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today said that Apple set new fourth quarter revenue records for wearables in every market that it operates in thanks to strong sales of the Apple Watch, AirPods, and Beats headphones.

Cook said that Apple saw "amazing results" in the wearables, home, and accessories category with revenue hitting $6.5 billion. That's up from $4.2 billion in the year-ago quarter, which is impressive growth. Cook said that Apple is "thrilled" with its wearables category specifically.

applewatchalwaysondisplay-800x501.jpg
We're thrilled with the results. As to what's driving it - it's the totality that's driving it. For some people, it's about fitness, for some people it's about health, for some people it's about communication, and for some people, it's about all of the above. I think always-on for the Series 5 is a game changer for many of our users.
According to Cook, three quarters of Apple Watch buyers were new to Apple Watch. Apple is still "significantly in the build mode" in terms of getting them in the hands of more consumers.

Cook also touched briefly on Apple's focus on health. Cook said that Apple plans to improve on Health related efforts that it has now such as medical records and health research, but that there are also "things that we aren't going to talk about just yet," perhaps referring to future Apple Watch features.

"There will be a day that we look back and see Apple's greatest contribution to people's health," Cook said.

Article Link: Apple Sets New Q4 Wearables Record in Every Market

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
One day, wearables will become bigger than the iPhone.

Then, they will cannibalize it just like the iPhone did with the iPod.

/Nostradamus

Reactions: jonblatho

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What was it others were saying back in April 2015 when Apple launched the Apple Watch? Oh, that’s right, ‘the device that nobody asked for’ or it ‘would fail’, and here they are destroying the market. There’s nothing that touches the Apple Watch in terms of simplicity, customization and overall a plethora of health features.

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
I remember when I first read an article on the 1st Apple Watch and said to myself who the hell will buy that crap at that price. Got the series 1 on sale and so it began. Owner, at one point or another, of series 1, 3, 4 and now 5. I love my aw.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I remember when I first read an article on the 1st Apple Watch and said to myself who the hell will buy that crap at that price. Got the series 1 on sale and so it began. Owner, at one point or another, of series 1, 3, 4 and now 5. I love my aw.

Love you’re able to change your view about it and tell the tale. I’ve loved the AW since my first, but no doubt it became the dream it was from the beginning in the fourth generation

Reactions: gymratjudy

thisrocks

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Melbourne Australia
The sense of duty is easy to follow when there are dollars to chase. Glad to hear health gets to be a key growth vector for them in this line of products. I love my aw.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I remember thinking what tosh the AW1 was, gold edition, aimed at fashion.

A friend of mine told me to wait and see. Apple will chase the health aspect, perhaps sugar readings via a glucometer etc.. He really was spot on. Be interesting to see were they take it in the next 5 years.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
What was it others were saying back in April 2015 when Apple launched the Apple Watch? Oh, that’s right, ‘the device that nobody asked for’ or it ‘would fail’, and here they are destroying the market. There’s nothing that touches the Apple Watch in terms of simplicity, customization and overall a plethora of health features.
It’s because we all went out and bought the Series 4 after we saw the S5 wasn’t much of an upgrade. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.