Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning shared a new video in its ongoing "Shot on iPhone XS" series, this time focusing on awe-inspiring natural scenes caught on Apple's smartphone camera by artist group Camp4 Collective.

Titled "Don't Mess With Mother," the one-minute video features various stark images of nature in action, captured from around the world, synced to the song "Last Rites" by Megadeth.

Shots in the clip include galloping zebra, scurrying desert insects, ice-capped mountain vistas, charging antelopes, mingling elephants, swimming lizards, snow avalanches, lava-spewing volcanoes, and more.

Apple has shared many "Shot on iPhone" videos and photos over the course of the last several years, including one posted last week that focused on the Maldives Shark Research Programme, a charity focused on whale shark research and community-focused conservation efforts.

Update: Apple has also shared a new behind-the-scenes look at the making of the "Don't Mess With Mother" video.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Shot on iPhone XS' Video Featuring Images of Nature From Around the World

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Great video, I enjoyed watching it but the average customer will never make this kind of shots for obvious reasons.
I think making ads about simpler and daily stuff, like taking pictures of your family or pets, is more important if they want to sell the phone. I really appreciate their quick "how-to" video for that reason.

Reactions: Classie

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Great video, I enjoyed watching it but the average customer will never make this kind of shots for obvious reasons.
I think making ads about simpler and daily stuff, like taking pictures of your family or pets, is more important if they want to sell the phone. I really appreciate their quick "how-to" video for that reason.

Ah, Yes, but thats an appeal to your logical brain. But that doesn't sell. Emotion does. There is a-lot of psychology on this. People want to feel something when they buy a product. I recommend a documentary by Adam Curtis called "The century of the self", that investigates Edward Bernays an individual who started us down this route a century ago.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
These videos are shot with an iPhone, but as we've learned before the phone is usually attached to professional video camera rigs.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Amazing video and editing! Well done.

I hope Apple can pour some of their commercial excellence into some Apple TV+ Shows. Imagine nature documentaries with a splash of Apples out side the box thinking

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fantastic edit!! The production house that put that together did an excellent job!

It was done in-house at Apple. This is their new advertising/marketing team, and I love it! Wow! This video is a real departure from their earlier "gentle" advertising spots. And good, because we need to take care of Mother Earth, or she'll finish us.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It was at this precise moment that the iPhone was trampled into pieces by wild stallions.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 11.16.32 AM.png

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Most of these shots are stunningly impressive for a phone. Wondered why they didn't mention the additional gear used this time, although it's probably the same as usual.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
And - so not everyone can make videos of equal quality just because they have the phone.
[doublepost=1555522881][/doublepost]

Is the point of the ad is to imply that such videos are possible using the iPhone XS alone, absent all the professional rigs?

Pretty much was the point of the ad and apple nailed it.

Nope I believe android phones started to record in 4K 60fps only this year and not all of them can do it or do it well.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I agree mostly with the posters above mentioning how they should lay out what equipment was used. There is a fine line though. I would argue that adding a separate lens changes the actual quality of the "camera" itself, but does adding a good lighting set up count as "equipment"? If you use a steadicam, but the stock camera, is that "fake"?

My take would be, anything that attaches to the phone (lens, rig, lights, stabilizer, underwater case, microphone, etc.) is disingenuous and should be called out. Anything that happens in the environment (lights, sound baffles, reflectors, models, etc) is fair game.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
My take would be, anything that attaches to the phone (lens, rig, lights, stabilizer, underwater case, microphone, etc.) is disingenuous and should be called out. Anything that happens in the environment (lights, sound baffles, reflectors, models, etc) is fair game.

That's a sensible distinction that clarifies the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: wwchris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.