Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Great work Apple ??

Go on MacRumors readers, do your best, I dare you to find something to be able to criticise Apple for in this one ?

* sits back *
It's not Apple making these, it's the OEMs that Apple use that are making them, and could have done it even if Apple wasn't involved. It's not a criticism, but Apple don't manufacture anything as far as I'm aware, much less medical equipment.

Reactions: PC_tech

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
1 milion per week? With Apple's production capacity and logistics they could be able to output 1 million per day. I doubt if the production costs for a box of 100 units is more than 10 bugs, which leave us with the fact that the effort Apple is making is ridicually small considering the fortune they are holding in their hands. I honesly beleive that Apple should dedicated more resources and more effort into helping in this crisis (consider it marketing expenditures).
[automerge]1586280955[/automerge]
A million units per week. If you think about that number, that’s a lengthy amount of units that will make an impact in terms of safety for these professionals. Are there any other ’tech’ companies that are shipping this type of volume for a facemask currently? Props to Apple...again.
Actually, there are many companies, much smaller than Apple that made many donations including masks and protective gear. Alibaba send a plane to Spain last week full of medical gear with 1,5 million masks and other equipment. And there are hundreds of additional examples if you have to time to google it. Apple should make more effort and bring more cash to the table.
[automerge]1586281077[/automerge]
It's not Apple making these, it's the OEMs that Apple use that are making them, and could have done it even if Apple wasn't involved. It's not a criticism, but Apple don't manufacture anything as far as I'm aware, much less medical equipment.
The important point is who is paying the bill. 1 million shields per week is something is FAR FAR from being great.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Actually, there are many companies, much smaller than Apple that made many donations including masks and protective gear. Alibaba send a plane to Spain last week full of medical gear with 1,5 million masks and other equipment.

This is an example on how to recognize negativity expressed just for negativity's sake.
You are comparing Alibaba sending "1.5M masks and other equipment" with Apple's 1M/week face masks. Apple is producing the face shields, Alibaba is not. That is, Apple is using its entire production chain, supply chain, and administration to create, categorize, and move the items. Alibaba is taking care mostly of the latter part of the equation. In addition, you are comparing 1.5M masks with face shields. These are two different things; they require different materials, different production, and even different packaging. It's much more difficult to produce a face shield. Many companies are doing great things, and this includes Alibaba, Apple, Google, Microsoft, and such. Posts like yours are concerning as they lack common sense in evaluating and comparing the topics at hand.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Except he did and plenty of evidence exist.
No he didn’t, and that’s why you couldn’t provide any evidence.

He didn’t tell anyone they were “holding it wrong”. As I mentioned, it’s a misquote, though some in the Apple-hate crowd like to use that as an example of the “arrogance” of Apple or Jobs.

He actually said “Just avoid holding it in that way.” You’ll notice the real quote has neither the accusatory tone nor the victim blaming of the made up quote.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

BF1M

Suspended
Nov 17, 2018
No he didn’t, and that’s why you couldn’t provide any evidence.

He didn’t tell anyone they were “holding it wrong”. As I mentioned, it’s a misquote, though some in the Apple-hate crowd like to use that as an example of the “arrogance” of Apple or Jobs.

He actually said “Just avoid holding it in that way.” You’ll notice the real quote has neither the accusatory tone nor the victim blaming of the made up quote.

I never threatened to rob this bank. I just said I was going to take all the money by force.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
After I made my first comment here, I FaceTimed with my aunt (who lives in an assisted living facility with 2 active cases), and I offhandedly mentioned these shields—and apparently their med workers got a shipment! It means all the much more when these are helping keep your family safe. Kudos Apple.

P.S. — the term “face shield” is simply accurate (as opposed to a “mask,” which goes on under the shield), it seems silly to chalk that up to Apple marketing…

Reactions: Kevbasscat

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

Did Tim Cook not mention something about a number of different Apple teams being involved? I’m assuming Apple have maybe offered advice and perhaps money to get things moving quickly and are helping with logistics etc? I don’t know, is 1M face shields a week something that’s easy to do?

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

Here‘s the quote from Tim Cook - “a company-wide effort bringing together product designers, engineering, operations, packaging teams, and our suppliers to design, produce and ship face shields for health workers”

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Apple should make more effort and bring more cash to the table.
Despite your horrible negativity, you are also just wrong.
Apple’s work here (like many other companies) needs to tick a few boxes...
1)use current workforce to do something, so you can continue paying them- in this case Apple had teams in marketing, logistics, packaging, etc all involved; some hotels, since they need to keep a skeleton cleaning crew on anyways, are letting traveling medical professionals stay for free... others, like Hilton, are moving the homeless off the streets, and providing ppe & other protections
2)speak up about what you’re doing; not only do people assume you’re doing nothing if no announcement is made, but further- it encourages other companies to follow suit... the positive pr can also help offset the expenditures
3)show actual commitment by providing something more meaningful/helpful than standing back & throwing money at the issue; especially if it’s something your company in in a unique position to provide (as in the hotel example above)- in this case, had Apple given triple the amount it’s spending on these, directly to hospitals with the funds earmarked “for ppe masks only”, it would have helped FAR less.
Obviously these individual hospitals aren’t ordering 20 million at a time, directly from the manufacturer... nope their distribution chain would pocket the vast difference in cost, then they’d still get the message: “those are back ordered, you’ll get them when you get them”.

I’m thoroughly impressed by how Apple brought their skills to bear and did NOT sit aloof and make sure they were just “donating the same amount as the other guys”.

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Gonna wait for next years model when it’s double the size and has a UWB1 chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.