Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today uploaded a new iPad Pro video called "A new way to go behind the scenes," which, as the title suggests, offers a behind the scenes look at some of the recent iPad Pro ads Apple has shared.

Apple's latest round of ads featured a series of tutorials and demonstrations on using the iPad Pro features, all of which were created using an iPad Pro. There was some skepticism that the iPad Pro could be used to make the content, which appears to be why Apple has uploaded this video.

Each of the ads were filmed, edited, animated, and designed on the iPad Pro. The Filmic Pro, app, for example, was used during the filming of the ads, though the iPad Pros were mounted using professional equipment.

Luma Fusion was used for editing purposes, Keynote was used for animation, and GarageBand was used for creating music.

The original videos were designed to offer up highlights on what can be done with an iPad Pro, focusing on taking notes, going paperless by scanning documents, hosting a podcast, designing a space with the Measure app, and creating a presentation in Keynote.

Article Link: Apple Shares Behind the Scenes Look at How New iPad Pro Videos Were Made

Reactions: keysofanxiety

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I think this is how it was done

0KVJUoQ.gif

Enclavean

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2018
Im more impressed they filmed it with the iPad itself

That aside, filming with a tablet is still a sin

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Certainly makes my checking email, web browsing, and watching videos feel underutilized. I guess I should be doing a lot more with my iPad Pro.

Reactions: goomba478

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
As a video producer myself, this is pretty sweet. Yes of course, they used high-end lighting so there's extremely little/no noise but it's very impressive how they were able to do all of that on an iPad Pro. Now having said that, if you had to adapt everything you know and produce something on an iPad Pro from start to finish when you're used to working on a computer, I would imagine you wouldn't save much time since you'd be learning how to do something completely differently than filming with dedicated video/cinema cameras, rigs, and editing software where you can fine tune. Nonetheless, it looks great.

Reactions: netdudeuk

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
There will be many here who will scoff "until this can do xxx it can't be a desktop replacement", and for certain tasks, this is certainly true. But ultimately you could have all the paraphernalia you could ever wish for and you'll still be hopeless if you don't know how to utilise what you have.

You can have the best photography equipment but somebody can take a better picture on an iPhone. You could have all the music gear in the world but your mix and tones would still sound terrible if you don't know what you're doing.

I really love this advert because ultimately, it holds true for one of the oldest sayings:

319766-Doesn-t-Matter-How-Many-Resources-You-Have...if-You-Don-t-Know-How-To-Use-Them-It-Will-Never-Be-Enough.jpg

armhol

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
The apps are 'intuadiv', versidul' and 'colaboradiv'. Jesus, American pronunciations just grate!

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
They stopped advertising the Xs. Latest videos all about XR and iPad Pro...

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
"The film that you're watching is about the film you just watched about the device that the film was made on that the film you're watching about the film you're watching was also made on about the device you're probably using to watch the film about the film about the device you're probably using to watch the film."

Reactions: domneedscoffee

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
All those original videos are inspiring. Makes you want to buy an Apple Pencil but then most 'regular' people will probably under use that like they do their Pros.

I'll just add that anyone who hasn't seen the 'Homework' advert should have a look. Wonderful.

Freida

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2010
this just goes to show how cumbersome things still are on the ipad. Sure, you can do a lot but this would be much faster&easier on a computer.

Reactions: decypher44

threesixty360

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
It's mad really, but you couldn't actually do what they just did on a macbook pro or any other laptop!
You cant film like that, you dont have filmic pro etc.. or any decent editing apps.
I suppose you maybe able to do some of it on a surface pro but the camera is probably a lot worse (can it film in 4k 30fps?). Also how much money would it cost to get the comparable editing tools compared to on the ipad?

There just always seems to be alot of people who say "I can do this better on my computer" etc.. but they never factor in the cost of software, things like camera's etc.. machine battery life and robustness (just imagine spilling coffee on a macbook keyboard compared to an ipad..).

The new ipad pro is expensive, but I really really like it. I think ios 13 will really change the game once and for all. I feel like apple's ego is bruised right now and they will want to really show off with the next release.

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
All that could have been done on a beautiful Samsung tablet or a Windows PC for $300—that can also run Overwatch.

Yes, running Overwatch was number 2 or 3 on my list of requirements when buying a device for work.

But, anyway, sure, you can do a lot of stuff on cheap computers these days, which is great. It would suck if every aspiring creator had to spend thousands of dollars to get started. But if you want something really nice to work with, something fun and enjoyable - an iPad Pro is a great choice for a lot of workflows.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
All that could have been done on a beautiful Samsung tablet or a Windows PC for $300—that can also run Overwatch.
Really? How much for the camera to shoot the video then? What apps would you use for all the different elements, and what do they cost?

mi7chy

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2014
More reason to make a MacOS MacPad since majority of content I see like on YouTube are edited on Mac or PC.

prasand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
UES, New York
Interesting, so they demonstrated that a USB-C connection to a monitor doesn't necessarily mirror the iPad's display, but can serve as an output or monitoring display @ 1:36 & 1:41.

Ultimately, I don't think there was much doubt that creatives could do pro work on the iPad. The doubt existed with the non-creatives in the context of it being a computer replacement. Granted, there are still some application specific creatives that couldn't use an iPad, but I think it was generally accepted that creatives could.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.