MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a "first look featurette" video highlighting the second season of popular Apple TV+ series "For All Mankind," which is set to have new episodes premiere on Friday, February 19.

Created by Ronald D. Moore, "For All Mankind" is a sci-fi series that imagines what the world might have been like if the global space race had never ended and the space program had remained a U.S. priority.

The second season of "For All Mankind" picks up in 1983, a decade after the first season. At the height of the Cold War, tensions between the United States and USSR are at their peak. Reagan is president and the US and USSR are fighting over the resources available on the moon.
Season two of the space drama picks up a decade later in 1983. It's the height of the Cold War and tensions between the United States and the USSR are at their peak. Ronald Reagan is president and the greater ambitions of science and space exploration are at threat of being squandered as the US and Soviets go head-to-head to control sites rich in resources on the moon. The Department of Defense has moved into Mission Control, and the militarization of NASA becomes central to several characters' stories: some fight it, some use it as an opportunity to advance their own interests, and some find themselves at the height of a conflict that may lead to nuclear war.
"For All Mankind" stars Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten, Sarah Jones, and Jodi Balfour.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'For All Mankind' Season 2 Featurette

DrMotownMac

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
I kind of liked this show. At times, it got a little draggy during Season 1. But other moments were super intense. It sort of reminded me of being a teenager in the 1980s watching the movie The Right Stuff and a fictionalized miniseries story of the US space program called Space based on the novel by James Michener. I actually chose to study aerospace engineering in college at least partly based on those two things. This particular story, For All Mankind, is fun because it's kind of like one of those Elseworlds comics published by DC Comics, when they change one little thing and show what would have happened to Superman, for example, if one little thing were different. Like if Kal-El's rocket from Krypton had actually landed in the USSR instead of the USA, you'd get the Superman: Red Son storyline.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Say what you will about season 1, it was basically setting the stage, but this trailer for season 2 looks great.
Most Sci-Fi shows don't start hitting their stride until the 2nd & 3rd season (Star Treks) then sometimes some of the episodes can be truly great.

Comment

cyrrus

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2016
Does anyone actually watch any of the Apple TV shows? They are all ruined by such blatant virtue signalling.

How much better would this concept have been for the show?

- Soviets get to the Moon faster.
- To one up them the USA sets the goal to get to Mars first.
- Alternate history of an incredible challenge getting to Mars in the 70s.
- Commander and at least one more crew just happens to be a woman because why not. Come up with a reason (Arrival/Contact are great examples).

True to current events. Still includes social impact aspect creating role models. Story would be actually interesting. Sci fi would have a field day with all the tech and challenges.

All of Apple TV seems so tainted by some corporate board laying down specific virtues and saying make a show about that first and foremost and make it interesting second. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be being a creator working on Apple TV right now. I don't even bother turning it on anymore.

'Global warming the show'
'#metoo the show'
'Women in STEM the show'

It's so one dimensional. Interested in everyone else's thoughts.

Comment

MiniApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2020
I'll be along for the (rocket) ride.
Enjoyed season 1 overall, despite the occasional bump or sometimes slow build up.
Was positively surprised by the big time jump.
Wonder if the show will ever get to present day or even the future?

Reactions: toph2toast
Comment

groundedUX

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2018
Does anyone actually watch any of the Apple TV shows? They are all ruined by such blatant virtue signalling.

How much better would this concept have been for the show?

- Soviets get to the Moon faster.
- To one up them the USA sets the goal to get to Mars first.
- Alternate history of an incredible challenge getting to Mars in the 70s.
- Commander and at least one more crew just happens to be a woman because why not. Come up with a reason (Arrival/Contact are great examples).

True to current events. Still includes social impact aspect creating role models. Story would be actually interesting. Sci fi would have a field day with all the tech and challenges.

All of Apple TV seems so tainted by some corporate board laying down specific virtues and saying make a show about that first and foremost and make it interesting second. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be being a creator working on Apple TV right now. I don't even bother turning it on anymore.

'#metoo the show'
'Women in STEM the show'

Spot on.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This show, even after 1 season, is becoming some of the best hard science fiction out there right now. The Expanse may have the market cornered on space flight, but FAM is PURE science fiction. No alien particles and super-soldiers required.

Comment

RogueWarrior65

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
Can writers STOP using the word "actual"?! Seriously, that might have been cool for one episode of BSG but now it's tired.

Also, what's up with the bullsh*t about defunding NASA resulting in lack of innovation? It's as though they want people to believe that government funding is the only way innovation happens. Sorry, but government getting out of the way is how it happens.

Comment

Ken88

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2020
Any sci-hi movie withOUT lightsaber or a man in dark helmet with deep breathing issue I am not watching😆

• Haha
Reactions: Digital Skunk
Comment

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor

'#metoo the show'
'Women in STEM the show'

There’s not much content, but there’s more than 3 shows. Even folks who don’t like TV+ know this.

Comment

Wokis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
There’s not much content, but there’s more than 3 shows. Even folks who don’t like TV+ know this.
I don't think that was the point of the post, like at all. Just three examples. If you want a longer list then I can add some.

"Gamers are closet nazis - The show"
"Conservatives have been wrong on the same issues since the 1800's - The show"

I like a lot of these ATV+ original shows but have acknowledge that the messaging is a bit.. blatant and inelegant at times. Since it's present in all shows I've seen there thus far, I'd also suspect it could come from an executive decision rather than organically.

(Although in TMS's case.. it's clealy supposed to be #metoo the show and is doing a darn good job at going at the complexities of it)

Reactions: decypher44
Comment

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
The S2 trailer looks great, there seems to be a lot more action than in S1. I always enjoy shows/movies that mix history with fiction.

Comment

mschmalenbach

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
It's as though they want people to believe that government funding is the only way innovation happens. Sorry, but government getting out of the way is how it happens.
Anything more than incremental innovation is seen as exponentially more risky unless the payoff is so huge and in a reasonable timescale to make it acceptable to whoever is paying for it.

There's simply no way that large and especially publicly listed commercial entities would have done the US space program as rapidly and as early as they did without the government underwriting the entire cost of it and then some.

To suggest government (i.e. tax payers') money & involvement has little to zero contribution to innovation is massively over simplifying things to the point of significant inaccuracy.

Only 30% of SpaceX's funding in its first 10 years of operation came from private sources, not including Musk's own investments (about 10%). The bulk of the rest came from NASA in stages against the COTS contract.

Does government always get it right? Nope. But then, neither does private industry.

The achievements of Mercury, Gemini & Apollo came from bringing together the best of both. And accelerated the very technologies we rely on unthinkingly today.

• Haha
Comment

jjudson

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
It's not just Apple TV. All film and television product are tainted with this bizarre notion that we need to be preached to. Comedy simply sucks as now we can't seem to laugh anymore at our own proclivities -- which has been the basis of comedy forever. Every film and television production has to have a social message. Many of our most famous shows and movies could never get made today. Just last week, Olivia Newton John had to weigh in on a cancel-culture effort to brand Grease as having an evil message of racism, rape, and sexism. It's a movie made in the '70s about life in the '50s for pete sake.

Joy has been completely removed from what should be an escape from all of the politics and protestations of factions within our culture. I have become extremely selective in what I watch anymore -- often times passing up new material for old. I find myself more times simply picking up my guitar or reading a book. That giant screen across the room is more black than lit up anymore. I'm starting to think if I got rid of it, that wall would be a nice place for a fine piece of artwork.

Last edited:
Comment

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Viable electric cars in the 80s! I don't see how technology could progress much faster without eliminating most of the regulations elites keep creating. If we did do this some safety may be reduced in the short term but greatly increased in the long term.

Comment

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
Well, the real season 2 drop will be 10 weeks from that date. First world problems and all that but it is a tad annoying that they are choosing to release the new seasons weekly. I'm hoping that this is a "virus" decision and not a permanent decision going forward.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.