Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Three of Apple's suppliers will share camera module orders for its forthcoming "iPhone 12" lineup, according to sources from Taiwan's handset supply chain (via DigiTimes).

fouriphones2020.jpg

Rumors have suggested Apple will complete its transition to an all-OLED iPhone lineup in 2020 with one new 5.4-inch device, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch handset.

Rumors suggest the 6.7-inch iPhone and one 6.1-inch model will be higher-end OLED devices with triple-lens cameras, while the 5.4 and 6.1-inch models will be lower-end iPhones with dual-lens cameras and a more affordable price tag.

LG has reportedly landed camera module orders for the two high-end 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch devices, with module shipments expected to reach 35-40 million units in 2020. Sharp and O-film are said to have grabbed orders for the two lower-end 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch phones, with camera module shipments expected to hit 50-55 million units this year.

Sharp is thought to account for 60 to 70 percent of those shipments, with the remaining 30-40 percent going to O-film. Production of the camera modules will reportedly begin in July.

Rumors suggest there will be a new TrueDepth camera system that cuts down on the size of the notch on the front. There are also rumors of a 3D triple-lens rear camera system that uses a laser to calculate depth information for objects in the room, improving both photography and AR capabilities.

The new 3D camera, which sounds like the LiDAR Scanner feature that Apple added in the 2020 iPad Pro, is expected to be limited to the high-end iPhone models

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says the 6.1 and 5.4-inch iPhones are expected to go into mass production in September, while mass production on the larger 6.7-inch iPhone will be delayed until October because of its more complicated design. If production is delayed until October, at least some of the iPhones could launch later than originally expected.

According to the latest industry estimates cited by the report, shipments of new iPhones are likely to reach 70 million in 2020, with the 6.1-inch models (both lower-end and high-end ones) to serve as the driving force, accounting for 50 percent of total shipments. The 5.4-inch model meanwhile is expected to make up 30-35 percent and the high-end 6.7-inch one 15-20 percent of shipments.

Article Link: Apple Shares iPhone 12 Camera Module Orders Between Three Suppliers

totom_

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
The way this article is written kind of implies that the non Pro models don't have the same cameras as the Pro models (just 2 less). That would be new for Apple as usually they used the same module between the entire range.

Reactions: TimCookandCo

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
The way this article is written kind of implies that the non Pro models don't have the same cameras as the Pro models (just 2 less). That would be new for Apple as usually they used the same module between the entire range.
I don't read that out of the article... it just says that the some suppliers ship the modules for the more expensive iPhones, others those for the less expensive ones. The camera module might be the same design, but probably quality requirements slightly differ. Just a guess though...
That Apple is launching 5 new iPhones in one year is also something I highly doubt. Well... let's see...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

IIRC, there was a post a few days ago suggesting the Pros will be a triple lens and the regular ones double lens.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Is this another Intel vs Qualcomm type speed issue except now with more manufacturers for cameras?

I doubt it will be that extreme. Intel only was able to provide GSM capabilities and Qualcomm offered everything.

I wonder how the 12 will be different than the 12 Pro design wise.

Reactions: JosephAW

TimCookandCo

Suspended
May 21, 2020
San Jose

yep, I miss that days when all new iPhones would have the exact same camera, except the number of lens. Like how the Wide Lens in iPhone XR is the exact same one as that in XS Max (just no telephoto).

Seems like that trend is no longer being followed with the iPhone SE 2, which has a iPhone 8 camera (it should have the iPhone 11 series single camera, like how the original SE had the exact same camera as 6S).

Really dont want iPhone 12 lineup to be like SE2

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Much more interested in the sensor and lens.
Doesn't Sony make the sensors for pretty much erbody and they momma? The only company I know that makes lenses for iPhones is Largan Precision but I'm sure there are others.
Uh oh, prepare yourselves for Cameragate this year :rolleyes:

Who is the current iPhone 11 camera supplier?
I think the most prominent current supplier is LG Innotek. Just my opinion, but I think Apple is throwing Sharp a bone so they can finally start getting ROI on all that dang money they put into propping up Sharp.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Doesn't Sony make the sensors for pretty much erbody and they momma? The only company I know that makes lenses for iPhones is Largan Precision but I'm sure there are others.

Well there is Samsung now. And credit where credit is due they are catching up pretty damn fast.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
As long as it has night mode, I want the smallest phone I can get. I’ve been in phone hell ever since the iPhone4 chassis was killed. Still hate the “tall” form factor as well. :/

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Well there is Samsung now. And credit where credit is due they are catching up pretty damn fast.
I knew about those, but I didn't mention them in relation to the iPhone because as far as I know, iPhones still use Sony sensors. Samsung sensors are primarily in their phones and funnily enough, in some of their Korean brother's (LG) phones. Samsung even still uses some Sony sensors where it makes financial sense. You'd think they'd have a built in market being Android, but most Android phones are Chinese brands so... yeah, no. Politics

But you're right, Sammy's catching up pretty fast.

cawgijoe

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Virginia
I'll be picking one of these up in the Fall (or whenever they release) to replace my iphone 7. Not sure which one at this point. All depends on price and features I guess.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Right now Sony makes the best smartphone camera sensors followed closely by Samsung.
The new 50MP sensor Samsung anounced looks really interesting, 1.2μm pixel size and 1/1.33” sensor size.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
For what I recall, Sony has been the exclusive provider for iPhone cameras in a long time. Find really weird that they are changing course now, and completely ditching Sony...it's a lot of work to recalibrate the software to match the new sensor characteristics...

iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus:
(iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone 8 Key Components Comparison)

iPhone XS:
(Rear-Facing Wide-Angle Camera)

iPhone 11 Pro:
(Cameras)

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
For what I recall, Sony has been the exclusive provider for iPhone cameras in a long time. Find really weird that they are changing course now, and completely ditching Sony...it's a lot of work to recalibrate the software to match the new sensor characteristics...

iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus:
(iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone 8 Key Components Comparison)

iPhone XS:
(Rear-Facing Wide-Angle Camera)

iPhone 11 Pro:
(Cameras)
The camera is one of the main selling points. Wouldn’t think want to mess that up. All comes down to profit though and Apple thinks can mange everything.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
The camera is one of the main selling points. Wouldn’t think want to mess that up. All comes down to profit though and Apple thinks can mange everything.

More about seeking better performing technology, in this case camera modules, driving more customers to their phones, and thus greater revenue.

And if one of the "cameras" is indeed a LiDAR sensor (for upcoming AR applications), that would be procured from a different manufacturer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.