Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Based on the numbers, the CO2 emissions seem fairly proportionate (but not directly) to the amounts of materials that require high energy inputs - metals, silicon and glass, for the most part. The choice of plus-size over standard size essentially guarantees a higher level of emissions.

Extending that reasoning... these are small objects. Many things we use require far greater amounts of energy input/CO2 output, such as the manufacture of the cars themselves, not just the amount of fuel burned on a 200-mile drive.

While I can't say with any certainty that the use of smart phones reduces a person's overall environmental impact, there's likely some mitigation from reducing other forms of consumption - from consolidating many different devices (pagers, flip phones, pocket calculators, cameras, etc) into a single device; from the reduction in production of black vinyl disks, CDs and DVDs, paper for newspapers, magazines, snail mail, etc...

I'm not trying to justify smartphones; just pointing out that the input/output calculations that go into total environmental impact are very complex; far more complex than a discussion of this sort can encompass.

Similarly, the whole, "Make it repairable" argument is somewhat simplistic as well. Yes, a highly durable product that remains in service for many years is likely to have a lower impact than one that has a shorter lifespan. However, the 55-year-old gas cooktop in my father's home has a pilot light that is always burning. You have to wonder at what point that constant consumption balances with replacement with a unit with electronic ignition? (If there are retrofit conversion kits for that cooktop, I've yet to find one.)

As someone who used to run electronics repair shops, I also know the impracticality of component-level repairs. Returning to the days of higher modularity (socketed ICs, rather than directly-soldered) carries other costs (higher level of failures, the materials that go into those sockets, the manufacture of specialized tools for repair of modern circuit boards...) that repairability is not necessarily a simple solution, either.

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
I do believe that iPhone X is way better for the environment compared to any phone sold in the history of mankind. Because fewer people will buy this, thefore the impact is minimal. Thank you, Apple!

All the evidence we currently have about demand for the X completely contradicts your statement.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
All the evidence we currently have about demand for the X completely contradicts your statement.
What demand you're talking about? Did you know the iPhone X haven't been released yet? You must be living in the future! Apple couldn't even say anything about the iPhone 8 as of this moment, couple years ago all you hear they have a good first week. Maybe you gonna say people are waiting for iPhone X, nah, most of the people in this forum don't even bother iPhone X. No data yet so until you got the info then you haven't really proven anything yet. You're just speculating!

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Would be nice to see something related to those of us in the iPhone upgrade program. Not sure where the phones end up when we trade them in every year.
[doublepost=1506697488][/doublepost]

Don't be surprised if this is the most popular of the three new phones.

I'd say the phones are resold by partners that agree to keep their relationship quite with Apple. Overseas, people still buy a used iPhone 4 because it just works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.