Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is continuing to hype the upcoming Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show that's set to air this weekend, with the company sharing a full mini film for its "Where's Usher?" ad campaign.

Yesterday, Apple shared a small teaser of the skit starring Ludacris, Lil Jon, Taraji P. Henson, and Apple CEO Tim Cook, but today the full 7-minute spot is available to watch on YouTube. Additional stars show up in the longer version, including Wesley Snipes, J Balvin, Anderson .Paak, Blue Man Group, and Criss Angel.

In the promo, the main trio continue their search for Usher in Las Vegas, ultimately locating him doing an impromptu performance in the Caesars Palace fountain.

Usher will headline the Apple Music Halftime Show for Super Bowl LVIII, which takes place at the Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas on Sunday, February 11.

Article Link: Apple Shares Mini Film Promoting Upcoming Apple Music Halftime Show Starring Usher

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
They need to air this entire ad between the first half and the start of the halftime show in lieu of the talking heads recapping the half we just watched.

It'd out-do any Family Guy clip ever for obnoxiously extended cringe.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
When did Apple turn into 90's Microsoft?
Microsoft_dance.gif

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
That was fun. I'm just here for the negative comments though.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, genuinely. There's no right or wrong answer here, everyone can have their own reaction. That being said, here's my Hot Take™:

While I don't think it's necessarily fair to criticize any corporation for being "uncool" because nothing they produce is ever going to be as cool or funny or interesting or edgy as what we may expect them to do... but, Apple's latest efforts (this, the Mother Nature sketch, etc.) are just so generic. Like, there's Typical Big Beefy Corporate America Bland, and then there's whatever Apple is up to lately. It's like they're terrified of being anything but painfully mid.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
They had Wesley Snipes dancing at the end? What a waste. They would have knocked it out the park with Carlton instead.

giphy.gif

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
When did Apple turn into 90's Microsoft?

I would argue there's a difference: No one was ever going to confuse Microsoft with being cool. They were the left-brain nerds to Apple's creative cool. So, for Microsoft to do something super silly and goofy and obviously self-parodying projects an awareness: we can't be cool, so we'll be silly and laugh at ourselves.

Other than the way they goof around with Hair Force One embracing a self-parodying "machismo" persona in some of the keynote videos, Apple's persistent problem is they take themselves way too seriously. Those completely ridiculous Jony Ive videos during product reveals were peak-stupid for Apple's pretense machine, but at least I kind of learned something. This whole ridiculous Where's Usher campaign feels like the product of a PowerPoint presentation, and I suspect everyone within the C-suite at Apple thinks it's just so great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.