Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Reactions: mhnd and DeepIn2U

grahamwright1

Cancelled
Feb 10, 2008
Apple today shared a new video on its YouTube channel that features footage shot on the iPhone 12 Pro.

Apple says the two-minute video pushes the iPhone 12 Pro's new Dolby Vision and low-light capabilities to the limit as an attempt to "capture darkness itself."

Stopped watching after 5 seconds when I realized it's portrait mode, not landscape. As an old guy, I can't understand the appeal of vertical recordings over a nice widescreen you can show on a larger screen.......

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Stopped watching after 5 seconds when I realized it's portrait mode, not landscape. As an old guy, I can't understand the appeal of vertical recordings over a nice widescreen you can show on a larger screen.......
When 90% of video is watched on phones in portrait you start to see why they made that decision. I don't agree with it myself but it at least makes sense in that context.

As to the video, it was wild. Very creative. Can't wait to see it on the iPhone 12 Pro Max screen.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 601
Jul 22, 2002
As to the video, it was wild. Very creative. Can't wait to see it on the iPhone 12 Pro Max screen.
I know for me, knowing the limitations of the iPhone 11, I wasn’t expecting that all the new modes they introduced being available for all the cameras in all the filming options. Kudos to their creativity for finding new ways of capturing darkness.

NOW, will someone please display this on an XDR display? :) I KNOW there’s gotta be blooming everywhere!

Reactions: QuarterSwede

GeoffAlex

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
Why do they market this as being shot on the iPhone Pro 12 explicitly when (parts of) it is clearly shot on the Pro Max. The shots of the phone showing the 2.5 zoom option and the guy also mentions the longer focal length on the tele.

Seems the same kind of misdirection as the '4x zoom' line. (Yes yes total zoom range but honestly most people would think 4x tele instead of 2x out 2x in).

Amazingly well shot though!

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Wait… YouTube doesn’t support Dolby Vision, does it?
right - a completely useful video if you were on the fence on getting the iPhone 12 Pro/Max

now -Jonathan knows how to do it - he posted both the HLG/HDR version on Youtube and also provided the .MOV source off the camera roll you can move to your iCloud account and watch it - and yes, based on this, I already sold my 11 Pro Max and getting the 12 Pro Max - the quality is unreal

Source

Youtube HLG/HDR

Last edited:

noraa

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
HDR capture WITH slo mo? I’ll have to go back over the spec sheet, because I wasn’t expecting that.

According to the specs page, the 12 can record HDR at up to 60fps - which is sorta slo-mo if you play it back at 30fps. But it looks like regular slo-mo (120fps and 240fps) doesn't support HDR.

dave_guitar_thompson

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Scarborough

Apple today shared a new video on its YouTube channel that features footage shot on the iPhone 12 Pro.

Apple says the two-minute video pushes the iPhone 12 Pro's new Dolby Vision and low-light capabilities to the limit as an attempt to "capture darkness itself."

The video is also accompanied by a behind the scenes look at how it was made.

Watch other Shot on iPhone videos here.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Dark Universe' Experimental Video Shot on iPhone 12 Pro

These kinds of posts are a joke. Until apple‘s camera’s can record in set frame rates and not variable ones then their cameras are not going to be usable for video editing.

I’ve had absolute nightmares trying to compensate for videos using multiple apple cameras where the timecodes don’t sync up with audio recorded with competent clocking. Apple‘s camera’s will never be ‘pro’ until they can use pro standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.