Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has recently shared a new support document on how to make your own face shield. The support document does mention that the manufacturing of face shields should only be carried out by an expert.

apple_face_shield_parts.jpg

In the support document, Apple specifies the materials and their respective thickness values needed for the fabrication of the shield, forehead band, and strap. Additionally, the support document highlights laser cutting, water jetting, and die cutting as potential fabrication methods that can be used in the production of the face shield.

Apple also provides several design files that are to be used in the fabrication process itself. The design files available include instructions for the overall process, 2D cut files, and specific manufacturing files for each component of the face shield. Apple has also set up the email address faceshieldmake@apple.com should anyone need further assistance with the fabrication process.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Documentation on How to Make Your Own Face Shield

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Hey Cook, can you PLEASE make a kit available that includes ALL the relevant parts ???

And most-importantly, offer it @ cost.

And, recommend you / Apple Limit the Order Size to 2 so that everyone can get them BEFORE the first run runs out.

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
Hey Cook, can you PLEASE make a kit available that includes ALL the relevant parts ???

And, recommend you / Apple Limit the Order Size to 2 so that everyone can get them BEFORE the first run runs out.

They released the plans for free and are providing free support. They can't get less under cost than that. Do you want them to manufacture it for you as well?

katbel

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2009
Probably we could make it @ home using simple"Home stuff", like
headbands, hair tie, transparency film like binding covers , duct tape, and hot glue ...

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
its these kinds of things that makes me happy to continue to support apple and stay within its ecosphere.

like making its Product red portion of 2020 iPhone SE's sales go towards COVID-19 relief (until the pandemic subsides, and then allowing it to go back to regular Product red priorities)

apple follows conscious capitalism's ethics more than any other company anywhere close to its size.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2016
They released the plans for free and are providing free support. They can't get less under cost than that. Do you want them to manufacture it for you as well?
Well yes, economies of scale, and lack of home equipment and materials, means it would make sense if they manufactured the parts and sold them at cost as kits.

I do wonder if they've actually tested this design?! It looks to me like it will tilt forward under it's own weight, propping itself against your nose/mouth/chin.

Last edited:

araadt

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
I do wonder if they've actually tested this design?! It looks to me like it will tilt forward under it's own weight, propping itself against your nose/mouth/chin.

They’ve shipped two million of them to healthcare facilities in the last ten days. They're aiming for a million a week. If they hadn’t done internal testing before they’re in the middle of one hell of a field test.

steve62388

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2013
This is such an odd thing for Apple to be posting a support article about.

I understand what a mask is used for, but it’s weird for it to be sitting with articles about how to restore your Mac and changing the network settings on your iPhone.

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
I want one made out of gorilla glass! :p
[automerge]1587256634[/automerge]
I'm waiting for the graphic or epaper version of the mask showing my nose and mouth so when people look at me they can't tell I'm wearing a mask.
Wasn't there something called aerogel that was like transparent foam, they need to make masks out of that.

Or better yet an entire face shield made out of OLED showing my animoji face with a one way view so I can see out, you know the same tech that will allow a camera or Touch ID to be placed under the screen.

Last edited:

bobtem

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
“Shares”, “Documentation”? You’ve been working in the tech world too long.

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco

Apple has already donated (meaning free) several million face shields to front line medical personnel at hospitals dealing with the pandemic. And continues to do so.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
This is such an odd thing for Apple to be posting a support article about.

I understand what a mask is used for, but it’s weird for it to be sitting with articles about how to restore your Mac and changing the network settings on your iPhone.
They want a url they can tell to hospitals. They have an existing support website infrastructure. It seems like an obvious, if slightly “strange befellows” choice. Probably had their working-from-home graphic artists and web designers do it, too.

And keep in mind, they didn’t announce it as, “hey Mac/iOS users, here’s a dace shield design”, they probably just announced it to the hospitals and Apple-watching folks found out about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.