Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
“I was trying to undo something on my phone”.

Man that’s a great excuse. Wish I thought of that earlier.
Hah.

At least when they moved to the haptic home button (and eventually removed it), she wouldn't be woken up by the clicking. She's a very light sleeper. Meanwhile about the only thing that wakes me up is tornado sirens or fire alarms.

Reactions: HJM.NL

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
I would like for the iPhone to be able to take photos in low light like the Pixel 1/2/3 with Night Sight and the other Android phones. It's very embarassing that Apple can't release this, especially since Google released for all generations of Pixel.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S10-vs-Pixel-3-vs-iPhone-XS-NIGHT-camera-comparison_id114131

c-t.jpg

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
I'm torn on this and think it's an interesting approach.

(Maybe) it's acknowledging that we've all been caught up in a features race for each new device without appreciating what we have? Seems everyone gets spun up about what's new.

Or it could be their way of signaling innovation has slowed. Given where their resources are focused these days with media and services, it could be coming off as a "pre-excuse".

Reactions: Regbial

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Apple is seriously—in 2019—advertising shake to undo as one of the top iPhone features? It's one of the least intuitive features and an example of bad UX design. Every time I have to do it in bed it wakes up my wife.
I agree.

I also hate the camera app flashes when in the dark. The girl I’m stalking wakes up every time.

Hate the brightness of the screen. It hurts my delicate eyes.

Hate the vibrations of the Taptic Engine. They make me feel funny.

I know not to do certain things in certain situations but clearly they are all examples of UX design.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I wish they'd implement undo/redo buttons somewhere in the keyboard. I find shake to undo pretty annoying to use. And very slow if you need to undo several times.
I wish they'd take out the damn microphone icon from the keyboard, or at least let us take it off... :rolleyes:

EDIT: I just figured out how to do it... Thank GOOOD

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
I would like for the iPhone to be able to take photos in low light like the Pixel 1/2/3 with Night Sight and the other Android phones. It's very embarassing that Apple can't release this, especially since Google released for all generations of Pixel.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-S10-vs-Pixel-3-vs-iPhone-XS-NIGHT-camera-comparison_id114131

c-t.jpg

Seems like the S10 strikes the best balance. Good low light and not a lot of flare around the red light at top.

Reactions: Regbial

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Shake to undo stopped working for me a while ago. I just figured it was removed in a software update. Now I know that there's something wrong here.

Apple being really innovative outside of their store designs has stopped working for all of use for a while ago.

This new marketing SCREAMS "butthurt" from Apple.

Samsung's recent MWC 2019 showcase headlined with "#DoWhatYouCant" and now Apple is with "iPhone can do what?" LMAO like really Apple, let's invoke a question to your user base or potential consumers of iPhone to question what it can do and show off the very FIRST pic of the ad campaign with stupid emoji's!? Kids are NOT your only consumers and Apple you NEED to stop insulting your consumers with ridiculous childish ads like this that appeals only to a 3yr old.

Grrr /rant-off

Reactions: otternonsense

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
“Memoji Your Face” is the first one listed.....

And people wonder why people think Apple has lost its way...

Remember this bozo?

upload_2019-3-6_14-11-7.jpeg

Apple has always made toys. Real computer users like me use Windows or Linux. I’m a professional speedrunner so I know.

Reactions: Naraxus

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
I wish I could see the value in it. I have never used it once. I ended up disabling it on my X.

It can be pretty useful from the home screen if the app has enabled shortcuts and for popping pics up quickly on instagram. But my most satisfying use is archiving an email notification from the lock screen instantaneously from gmail. To each their own though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I agree.

I also hate the camera app flashes when in the dark. The girl I’m stalking wakes up every time.

Hate the brightness of the screen. It hurts my delicate eyes.

Hate the vibrations of the Taptic Engine. They make me feel funny.

I know not to do certain things in certain situations but clearly they are all examples of UX design.
So if I make a mistake I have to get up? Way to be an Apple apologist.

It's bad UX design because it's not intuitive. Many users have no idea it's even a thing. It doesn't work consistently when you shake it. In some apps it doesn't work, while in others it has been replaced by a button. Even Apple's own Notes app uses buttons in addition to the shake. Sometimes it is invoked accidentally while walking or riding in a car or bus and things are bumping around. I do UI/UX for my job. I know what I'm talking about. And yes, everything you're talking about is an example of UX design. I'm not sure you know what these words mean. UX means User eXperience. UI means User Interface. To say that something is an example of UX design does not denote a positive or negative connotation.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
So if I make a mistake I have to get up? Way to be an Apple apologist.

It's bad UX design because it's not intuitive. Many users have no idea it's even a thing. It doesn't work consistently when you shake it. In some apps it doesn't work, while in others it has been replaced by a button. Even Apple's own Notes app uses buttons in addition to the shake. Sometimes it is invoked accidentally while walking or riding in a car or bus and things are bumping around. I do UI/UX for my job. I know what I'm talking about. And yes, everything you're talking about is an example of UX design. I'm not sure you know what these words mean. UX means User eXperience. UI means User Interface. To say that something is an example of UX design does not denote a positive or negative connotation.

The notes app on the iPhone doesn’t have the undo functionality. The iPad does since you’re prolly using it on a desk.

It does work consistently if you know how to use it.

Other apps might have it disabled for whatever reason. For instance, some Goog apps have a feature where you shake your device to send feedback.

The feature hasn’t been accidentally triggered for me on a car. Firm grasp ma dude. You’ll drop your phone. How can a car trigger it accidentally but you can’t trigger it without an earthquake?

It was a comical response to a stupid post from a user eager to prove something about himself to internet strangers.

Good UX is one where the user knows what’s up. When I was 15 I had an iPod. I didn’t have much experience with computers. When I saw the prompt I immediately knew - shake, get a prompt. Oh ok frustrated movements will help me clear the mistakes. This is also why Goog has feedback mapped to this gesture.

Don’t come on here boasting your job or whatever because YOU can’t figure out that there are times when things shouldn’t be done. Like shaking your phone while in bed with your sleeping wife. Also, you wouldn’t be doing that if you just knew that flicking your wrist twice quickly will trigger it. No earthquake required.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
iPhone can't....allow drag-editing of text for copy/pasting when editing a Macrumors forum post. At least, it doesn't work on my iPhone 8. Try dragging the blue bar for a copy/paste job, and the entire text in the box instantly highlights. No good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.