Apple Shares New Photos of Its First Thai Retail Store, Opening Saturday in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has shared new photos of Apple Iconsiam, its first retail store in Thailand, due to open in Bangkok on the shores of the Chao Phraya on Saturday, November 10 at 10 a.m. local time.

[​IMG]

Sitting alongside storied sites and cultural landmarks, the store connects the new mixed-use Iconsiam Center to an outdoor roof terrace. Apple says the clean, trapezoidal lines and glass surfaces were designed "to accentuate the surrounding natural beauty while creating an open, airy atmosphere effacing boundaries between interior and exterior."

[​IMG]

The sweeping glass facades of the store look out to the river and the city, with customers able to ascend to the roof garden, where they can appreciate local art, participate in a Today at Apple photo or sketch walk, and enjoy iconic views of Bangkok.

[​IMG]
    More than 100 employees will be ready to welcome customers to Apple Iconsiam on Saturday at 10 a.m. As it has done with other stores, Apple is celebrating its first Thai store with special artwork and Today at Apple sessions, which customers can sign up for at apple.com/today.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Photos of Its First Thai Retail Store, Opening Saturday in Bangkok

2. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

Dunno about anyone else. But I love those massive glass doors.

3. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

And your 20% higher prices, Angela. Thrilled about that, Apple’s mega-rich execs are.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I thought you were meant to speak like Marty, not Yoda!

5. danbalsh macrumors regular

It’s a lovely store design isn’t it!

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m jealous. Where I live we have 5 Apple stores but 4 of them are in shopping malls so we’ll never get amazing redesigns like this.

7. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Who's gonna buy Apple's expensive "high-end" products in Thailand? Tourists?

8. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

I miss Thailand. I wonder if I could pull up on a water taxi.

9. Kevincjz macrumors newbie

Kevincjz

This is in a shopping mall too - just on the roof terrace! :)

10. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

They should offer a Thai massage session with Apple!

11. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Cultural ignorance noted. BKK has an immense amount of wealth.

12. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

In one mall the Sears store closed. I was hoping Apple could get part of that space and have a nicer store. Instead they’re putting in a luxury Lifetime Fitness.

13. benlukes macrumors member

I like the Apple logo made out of the first letter of the word “Apple” in Thai.

14. NoHardFeelings macrumors newbie

NoHardFeelings

You know, after living in Bangkok for years, I can tell y'all that Bangkok doesn't really have much to offer besides blood-red traffic, heavy air pollution, punishing heat, hungry mosquitoes, and delicious food. With Apple Store, finally, we have a pleasant distraction to get through life of suffering. Yes too much delicious food can be suffering too.

By the way, a month ago Iconsiam looked like this. The arrow is where Apple Store would be.

Attached Files:

15. GrumpyMom, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Where I live the shopping malls are dying a slow painful death. Our mall based Apple Store looks good for a mall store, but there’s only so much they can do with a hole in the wall in a gradually declining mall.

And where I often stay with extended family down south, there is no Apple store at all.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2018 ---
    Ah, you pretty much described my part of the US, too, in the summer anyway. With developers buying up every bit of wooded land and turning it into housing that feeds into roads laid out a hundred years ago, it’s a recipe for overcrowding and stress and road rage and lots and lots of violence.

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I bet there's also a drop-off if you arrive by transport on the chao phraya river, that in itself is a major experience.
    Been to Bangkok a few times, it's ok for a visit or 2, I prefer the rest of the country, especially the island down in the south.

The store looks awesome, the building which it is located in not so much.

17. Alphadork macrumors newbie

Alphadork

I think what you meant to type was "Hi - I go by "rmoliv" and I want everyone on the Internet to know that I know absolutely nothing about SE Asia." Whether or not that's what you meant to type, that's effectively what you did type. Carry on.
    Other than the photo, that post says a lot more about you than it does about Thailand.
    I saw that too - isn't it cool?

18. STBKK, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

STBKK macrumors newbie

FYI, Bangkok has more billionaires than almost every U.S. cities except NYC. Don’t even think about millionaires, because that is pretty much everyone in my neighborhood when I used to live in Bangkok. Apple is now building a second free standing glass cylinder type store in Bangkok at the corner of Ratchaprasong district. Third store is also coming to the city. Now, how is that for Apple’s “high-end” market?

Attached Files:

19. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Ok I apologize I didn’t know. It’s sad though when the wealth is concentrated in the hands of 1% of the population.