Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has shared a new video in its ongoing "Shot on iPhone" series, showing off the photographic capabilities of the iPhone 11 Pro.

Shot in the British Columbia Interior, Canada, the video features past and present Winter X Games competitors snowboarding down slopes and valleys at Baldface Lodge.

Follow past and present Winter X Games snowboarding competitors Red Gerard, Danny Davis, Kimmy Fasani, and Ben Ferguson as they explore untouched powder in the backcountry of the British Columbia Interior at the legendary Baldface Lodge.
Apple has shared dozens of "Shot on ?iPhone?" photos and videos over the course of the last several years, updating the content with the launch of each new ?iPhone? model.

Apple's ??iPhone 11 Pro??, which is used for the newest ad, features a triple-lens camera with the best wide-angle sensor Apple has released so far along with a telephoto lens and a super wide-angle lens for better landscape shots.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Powder' Shot on iPhone Video

Last edited:
Reactions: captainorange

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Buy an iPhone, and your life will magically become exciting and all of your movies will effortlessly look like the ones in that professionally produced, acted and edited series (especially SNOWBRAWL).

Lets dial down the exaggeration a bit. Sure, Apple is using marketing to a higher level, but Apple doesn’t expect every consumer who owns the latest iPhone to record in the context the way they do. They’re simply demonstrating the capabilities the iPhone has with the latest camera features of what it can produce for results.

[The snowbrawl video you’re referring to, specifically highlighted the various sun-lighting through the trees, slow-motion capture, etc. Again, it might have been choreographed with ‘actors’, but that’s the capabilities _that_ iPhone has.]

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I think it’s funny to see ads for the pro when all these videos could have been shot on the 11. I have very rarely had the need to zoom in on subjects. Most of my photography is of landscapes, nature and people, mostly at family events. Anyone else thing that “shot on iPhone 11 Pro” is a bit misleading? Like, the only differences are OLED and telephoto and they charge a whopping $400 more.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Buy an iPhone, and your life will magically become exciting and all of your movies will effortlessly look like the ones in that professionally produced, acted and edited series (especially SNOWBRAWL).

Why can't I stand American corporate advertising anymore?

The point is, you can do it if you know how to. And you don't need to just have aerial shots to make them look great. It is not corporates fault that people are daft and don't know how to shoot videos. Most people still do shoot videos on portrait orientation anyway.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I guess they went with a cloudy day to hide the crappy HDR processing that happens in iPhone videos..

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA

Because you’ve become totally cynical. Nothing has changed about advertising in that way. Why do you think ads have featured models, cowboys, athletes, and superheroes for decades? “Use our product and be like us!” The only thing that’s different today is an internet clearinghouse of comments like yours.

Reactions: Pipper99 and SDJim

gruntersdad

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
I have an iPhone 8+. I'm always behind, but if I know I going to be buried in the snow with professional snow boarders, I bringing my Sony DSLR. I understand the wish to show the capabilities, that's fine, but if I want large, crop able, frame able photos, it won't be on the iPhone 8, 11, or 16.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Because you’ve become totally cynical. Nothing has changed about advertising in that way. Why do you think ads have featured models, cowboys, athletes, and superheroes for decades? “Use our product and be like us!” The only thing that’s different today is an internet clearinghouse of comments like yours.
More to the point, if it was a Samsung, etc. ad from previous years, they would be using a $$$$$ Canon camera and lenses or at a minimum an iPhone. Here they are actually using an iPhone to promote an iPhone.

The other thing is - talented, zero budget up and coming film makers do exist, and they can use their existing a generation or two old iPhones to make a movie - which in the past they would have had to beg, borrow or steal $$$,$$$ in equipment and film to make it - now they can do it for literally nothing (a couple of hundred to buy Final Cut Pro software). The limiting factor is their talent, daring and imagination.

Example Tangerine which was entirely shot on an iPhone 5S:

tyc0746

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2019
Liverpool, UK
He must have put a heated case on it, as my iPhone X kept shutting down whilst skiing around Banff last January - although it did get down to -30ºC (-22ºF) on some days and up as high as -5ºC (23ºF).

ahhh

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
“Shot on iPhone“?! LOL.

Please show me the ‘tilt shift’ feature on my phone :/

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow, this thread is so full of negativity and doubt. What a sad place to be.

But those beautiful BC mountains... I wish I had the guts of those guys! My closest experience skiing around trees landed me a concussion and a broken leg. ?

oox

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
I'm thinking that all Apple TV+ shows should be shot on iPhone. What do you say Apple?

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018

But bro, they're all shot on iPhone. You could totally do this with just your phone.

kenny2

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Yorkshire, UK
More to the point, if it was a Samsung, etc. ad from previous years, they would be using a $$$$$ Canon camera and lenses or at a minimum an iPhone. Here they are actually using an iPhone to promote an iPhone.

The other thing is - talented, zero budget up and coming film makers do exist, and they can use their existing a generation or two old iPhones to make a movie - which in the past they would have had to beg, borrow or steal $$$,$$$ in equipment and film to make it - now they can do it for literally nothing (a couple of hundred to buy Final Cut Pro software). The limiting factor is their talent, daring and imagination.

Example Tangerine which was entirely shot on an iPhone 5S:

Going to look for that and watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.