Apple Shares New Series of 'Shot on iPhone' ASMR Videos

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today continued on with its "Shot on iPhone" series, uploading several new videos, but this time with a twist -- the videos are focused on ASMR, a popular YouTube trend that uses sound to evoke an "autonomous sensory meridian response."

Apple shared four videos in the series, all of which are between six and 10 minutes in length. The first, "Whispers from Ghost Forest," features a woman whispering about the legend of Ghost Forest.

The second video focuses on wood shop sounds, featuring a man turning a piece of wood into a work of art, while the third video features a man walking on a trail and crunching leaves and brush underfoot.

The fourth video, "A calm rain at camp," features the sound of rain pounding on various items at a campsite in the woods.

Apple has these videos labeled as ASMR Season 1 on its YouTube channel, which means more ASMR videos could potentially be coming. Apple also uses the tagline "Apple SMR" when introducing each video, and recommends people use headphones when watching.

These are the oddest of the "Shot on iPhone" videos that Apple has shared, but each one was created using an iPhone (with additional hardware and equipment for the sound) and features impressive visuals to go along with the sound.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Series of 'Shot on iPhone' ASMR Videos

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
But how did they capture audio since Apple removed the iPhone audio in port/headphone jack?

Quu

macrumors 68030
Apr 2, 2007
I love ASMR and this is pretty good ASMR to be honest.

rezononce

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
So like WTF did I just watch. Some lady whispering about a cataclysm that killed a bunch of people in Japan.

I had to turn it off. It was too weird. And people think Apple has lost focus—can't imagine why?
I mean that's as advanced as you can make sound technology... sound recordings from left and right channels built right into the iPhone. why wouldn't this exist? Don't like hearing about japanese or anything except how good america is because of foreign workers, build your own technology yourself with glue and a shoebox. lmao. oh also please record yourself doing it with an iphone cause i think that would be a good vid to watch.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I mean that's as advanced as you can make sound technology... sound recordings from left and right channels built right into the iPhone. why wouldn't this exist? Don't like hearing about japanese or anything except how good america is because of foreign workers, build your own technology yourself with glue and a shoebox. lmao.
Did you read the article? They didn't even use the iPhone microphones to record audio. For ASMR you need special microphones. This video is pointless. And why are you getting political? It was weird because they were creepily whispering about horrific events that transpired 300 years ago.

…but each one was created using an iPhone (with additional hardware and equipment for the sound)

rezononce

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2019
Did you read the article? They didn't even use the iPhone microphones to record audio. For ASMR you need special microphones. This video is pointless.
they could be talking about like stands for the iphones tho, and no you don't the iphone can record asmr now... also nope just enjoyed the rain sounds on the camp one.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But how did they capture audio since Apple removed the iPhone audio in port/headphone jack?
You don't think there's equipment that supports the Lightning port? Or even Bluetooth? (although I'm not sure how much bandwidth is required for this immersive audio)

I'm extremely impressed by the sound quality of video recorded on iPhone XR, without any extra hardware. It's superb!
[doublepost=1565201032][/doublepost]
So like WTF did I just watch. Some lady whispering about a cataclysm that killed a bunch of people in Japan.

I had to turn it off. It was too weird. And people think Apple has lost focus—can't imagine why?
Whomever the narrator was, she likely does this type of creative work outside of Apple's circles. This has nothing to do with Apple's business goals, other than demonstrating what people are using iPhone for, at least is capable of, in the real world. Nothing wrong with that at all.

samre

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2019
I love this, what a coincidence. For the past year we have been working on a binaural recording method for iPhone, we've had some setbacks and were scheduled to launch a few days ago and should launch today or tomorrow! It's a new patent pending method for synchronization and also enhancing binaural recordings for iPhones. Not much time to dive in but with SoundX it could all be shot on iPhone, recorded on iPhone shot on iPhone no additional equipment used. In the upcoming days you will be able to do the same thing with your iOS devices, we have similar examples that we haven't released yet, not as pretty as Apples though. Here's one.