Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared two new "slofie" videos taken using the slow-motion capture feature of the front-facing camera of the iPhone and iPhone 11 Pro.

The two short videos, called "Backflip" and "Whiteout," feature slow motion selfie videos captured by professional snowboarders.

Apple's iPhones have long had a "slo-mo" slow motion video feature for capturing slow motion content with the rear camera, but with the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro, slow motion capabilities were also added to the front-facing camera, enabling "slofies."

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Slofie' Videos Highlighting iPhone 11 and 11 Pro Cameras

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Stop trying to make slofies happen, they’re not going to happen.
[automerge]1579490941[/automerge]
But...but...I was told these are a gimmick feature and not good for anything.

That’s exactly right. Stupid, clunky and not useful. Like the 3D Touch they dropped after implementing horribly.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
It's pretty much what GoPro's been showing for the last decade. Makes sense for their product. But for a $1,000+ primary phone in the back country? Makes no sense.

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Weird... I didn’t get that impression in the slightest. Looked like people just having fun to me 🤷‍♂️

I guess some people see what they want to see. Seems like a typical case of confirmation bias.

Exactly that, my parents whom are 90 and 80 absolutely love the silly ski videos we (me, my girlfriend, my brother) send them as they didn't have the money to go growing up. They'd find a backflip slofie hilarious, especially as I'd end up buried in the snow given I've never landed one.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
If slofies were the only new feature with iPhone 11, I still would have upgraded. Honestly, they are so much fun and very rewarding once you learn how to engage with the technology properly to express yourself in meaningful ways.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

criticasm

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2017
Weird... I didn’t get that impression in the slightest. Looked like people just having fun to me ?‍♂️

I guess some people see what they want to see. Seems like a typical case of confirmation bias.

The "people just having fun" are actors in a commercial. There's nothing genuine about it. It's Apple marketing heavily to create a trend ie make fetch happen. If slofies caught on naturally like real trends do they wouldn't need promotion.

Reactions: V_Man

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The "people just having fun" are actors in a commercial. There's nothing genuine about it. It's Apple marketing heavily to create a trend ie make fetch happen. If slofies caught on naturally like real trends do they wouldn't need promotion.
OP claimed the spots gave “the impression that iPhone owners are completely self absorbed.” I disagreed, saying it “looked like people just having fun to me”.

I got zero impression the pro snow-boarders were portraying iPhone users as completely self-absorbed. ymmv ?‍♂️

But really, let the kids have their fun with their slofies. They like them, they buy iPhones to get them, everyone wins :) Why should you care what others are having fun with? I’m personally not concerned in the least that they take slofies and send them to their friends and family. So what?

The kids like Animojis as well. Don’t you think it would have been fun to use those things, if they’d been around when you were a kid?

I really don’t think we older folk will get all that much use out of slofies though lol.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
This is Apple pushing a feature that will be used by few.
[automerge]1579522438[/automerge]
Weird... I didn’t get that impression in the slightest. Looked like people just having fun to me ?‍♂️

Not too self centered there. Lol

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
This is Apple pushing a feature that will be used by few.
Not too self centered there. Lol
We were discussing the snowboarder spots.

However, newsflash: teens can be a little self-centered lol. I think they’re ok with that ?

Do you think that commercial puts you in a bad light, as an iPhone customer? Because I don’t think it reflects on me, one way or the other.

What I see is a younger brother helping his sister create a really cool slofie ?‍♂️ ?

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

Thrutheroofnunderground

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2018
North Carolina
But...but...I was told these are a gimmick feature and not good for anything.
But...they are? Maybe if I had long hair it would be fun like 5 times.
[automerge]1579537764[/automerge]
i don’t remember them pushing 3D Touch this much.
If they had maybe it would have stayed a thing. Seems like a more potentially useful feature. Not sure what the purposes of slofie’s are if you over the age of 18.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
The "people just having fun" are actors in a commercial.
Actors become actors because they have fun acting. Meaning, they’d have fun being in commercials. Even MORE so if they’re informed “Your casting agent told us you really enjoy snowboarding, so, that thing you love to do? We want you to film yourself doing that thing you love to do (snowboarding) while we pay you for doing that other thing you love to do (acting).”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.