Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On its YouTube channel, Apple today shared three videos promoting iBooks exclusive enhanced versions of titles from George R.R. Martin's popular "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Each video features Martin talking about one of the books in the series, starting with "A Game of Thrones," which is the first book. In the two minute video, which is accompanied by artwork, Martin speaks about one of the first scenes he wrote, which involved the direwolf pups owned by the Starks. It also covers the iron throne and Daenerys Targaryen.

The videos on "A Clash of Kings" and "A Storm of Swords," are shorter in length at 30 seconds and feature Martin talking about the themes that are included in each book.

The Enhanced Editions of "A Game of Thrones," "A Clash of Kings," "A Storm of Swords," "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance of Dragons" are available from the iBooks Store for $8.99 to $11.99.

Enhanced versions, exclusive to iBooks, include annotations, glossaries, family trees, interactive maps, and more.

Article Link: Apple Shares Promo Videos for George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' Enhanced iBooks Exclusives

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Better headline "exclusive quality content on Apple platforms makes Apple haters salty".
Uh, (as I type this on my iPhone and gaze at my Mac mini in the distance) not a hater, just didnt realize people used it. Good for Apple that they get exclusive iBooks deals, that will help sales of devices for sure.

Dan From Canada

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2016

On its YouTube channel, Apple today shared three videos promoting iBooks exclusive enhanced versions of titles from George R.R. Martin's popular "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Each video features Martin talking about one of the books in the series, starting with "A Game of Thrones," which is the first book. In the two minute video, which is accompanied by artwork, Martin speaks about one of the first scenes he wrote, which involved the direwolf pups owned by the Starks. It also covers the iron throne and Daenerys Targaryen.

The videos on "A Clash of Kings" and "A Storm of Swords," are shorter in length at 30 seconds and feature Martin talking about the themes that are included in each book.

The Enhanced Editions of "A Game of Thrones," "A Clash of Kings," "A Storm of Swords," "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance of Dragons" are available from the iBooks Store for $8.99 to $11.99.

Enhanced versions, exclusive to iBooks, include annotations, glossaries, family trees, interactive maps, and more.

Article Link: Apple Shares Promo Videos for George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' Enhanced iBooks Exclusives

And here I was hoping that there would be some kind of announcement about the next books... sigh.

Martin has been living the rock star life the past few years and complains about "writers block". Hmm?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Wow even books are getting the "editors cut" "special edition" etc treatment .

Reactions: tatonka

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Better headline "exclusive quality content on Apple platforms makes Apple haters salty".
Yeah .. right .. look at the raven calling the kettle black.

@on topic
Interesting concept and certainly a great franchise to choose for extra content and extended glossaries. I read all the Song of Fire and Ice books on the Kindle and occasionally would have liked to jump to the map or to a glossary to look up a character. Most of that information is in the paper books as well as the ebooks already, it is just cumbersome to look up in the books and close to impossible to navigate on the Kindle.

And, George .. go finish the god§%*$ book .. .. please!

Reactions: V.K.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I bought the enhanced edition of "A Game of Thrones" a couple of months ago and it's absolutely great. Maps, little popups with cool info about places, characters and objects, hyperlinked glossary. What an e-book should be. It fully utilizes the medium.

Will buy the rest too.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
US only? Not the iBooks store here at least :-(

EDIT: Oh wait, found 'em. Too many versions of his books! :)

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
I have them. It's perfect to a story with so much characters.
The glossary, the maps and the family trees are very helpful.

Why do you think it wasn't around? I buy a lot of books on iBooks.
It was sarcasm. I know iBooks is still on my phone, but I don't have an iPad right now so I don't use it. I think I prefer books over ebooks anyway. Keep on reading and buying if it works well for you!

Giantscruz

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2013
Yay Area
It was sarcasm. I know iBooks is still on my phone, but I don't have an iPad right now so I don't use it. I think I prefer books over ebooks anyway. Keep on reading and buying if it works well for you!

Ok, so why are you clicking on an article about digital books?
I guess you just assume if you don't use a product it is a failure doomed to lose money...

These editions look great and as GRRM says in one of the videos, these books are the perfect match for this new format. On first read through the series can be almost encyclopedic. So many names and references, hyperlinks to the glossary are a gift from the old gods. (or one of the seven, whichever reference works better)

WRChris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Indiana
Ok, so why are you clicking on an article about digital books?
I guess you just assume if you don't use a product it is a failure doomed to lose money...

These editions look great and as GRRM says in one of the videos, these books are the perfect match for this new format. On first read through the series can be almost encyclopedic. So many names and references, hyperlinks to the glossary are a gift from the old gods. (or one of the seven, whichever reference works better)
Jeez man idk a comment could make you so upset. I'm sorry I like to read all articles and sometimes comment. it was an attempt at humor and you game of thrones nuts took it to heart. Happy holidays

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.