Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today presented its best of 2018 lists, highlighting the apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, books, and audiobooks that "shaped entertainment and culture around the world this year."

Apple shares its top lists for the App Store, iTunes Store, and more each and every year, and this year's lists are available via the Apple Newsroom.

applebestapps2018.jpg

According to Apple, the App Trend of the Year is "Self-Care," featuring wellness apps like Fabulous, Shine, and Calm. The Game Trend of the Year was, unsurprisingly, "Battle Royale-style gaming" so named because of the popularity of apps like Fortnite and PUBG.

Apple's other top app and game lists are below, with Apple offering up separate winners for the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac.

[*]iPhone App of the Year - Procreate Pocket
[*]iPhone Game of the Year - Donut County
[*]iPad App of the Year - Froggipedia
[*]iPad Game of the Year - Gorogoa
[*]Mac App of the Year - Pixelmator Pro
[*]Mac Game of the Year - The Gardens Between
[*]Apple TV App of the Year - Sweat
[*]Apple TV Game of the Year - Alto's Odyssey

Apple named Drake as the top artist of the year, while "I Like It" from Cardi B was named the song of the year. Kacey Musgraves' "Golden Hour" album was named album of then year, while Juice WRLD took the breakout artist of the year title.

As for movies, Apple named "Annihilation," "Black Panther," "Crazy Rich Asians," and "Eighth Grade" as some of the best movies of the year, while "The Americans," "Atlanta," "The Good Place," and "The Handmaid's Tale" were named some of the best TV shows.

Apple's full Newsroom article has a complete list of the winners for each of its services, along with top charts and other data that's worth checking out if you're looking for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, books, and apps you might have missed in 2018.

Article Link: Apple Shares the 'Best of 2018' Highlighting Top Apps, Games, Music, TV Shows, Movies and More

Cosmosent

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
AAPL would have been wiser to promote ten or so UN-known apps & games !

They could call it "The Best UN-Known Apps & Games" list.

Last edited:
Comment

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
Pixelmator Pro isn’t worthy of much attention...

But Annihilation is an amazing movie.

Reactions: merovinger
Comment

Mars56

Suspended
Apr 26, 2018
Annihilation was a fun movie, Handmaids Tale is neat, most of the apps and music I don't care for, but they have their measures, I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Apple today presented its best of 2018 lists, highlighting the apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, books, and audiobooks that "shaped entertainment and culture around the world this year."

In this day and age of streaming, I don't get paying $3.49 for a tv show.

I get more shows that I can watch on Netflix, and if I were to watch at least 1 episode a day on average, at $13.99 a month, or $0.46 AUD an episode.

Comment

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Bit of a snooze fest on the Mac this year, then?

Pixelmator Pro is hardly any different to Pixelmator, which itself is an old app now.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Why is it so hard to view the Mac App Store on my iPhone?

Also, I’ve never heard of some of these podcasts. You want a good podcast check out Sawbones or Dear Hank and John.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
The only ones I agree with to my taste are "The Handmaid's Tale" and "The Americans".
CardiB? REALLY?

Comment

Nagy Dávid

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2014
How can they choose something with a rating of 3.8? They clearly do not listen to their costumers.

Comment

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Pixelmator Pro is so beautiful, really has a true "Mac" experience to it. I love it!

Comment

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The "Good Place" is a very deep show, well portrayed by seemingly shallow characters. The one NBC show worth its time.
My wife and I started watching The Good Place on Netflix last month, after seeing a few GIFs of it (I know), and now we're almost caught up with the current season.

I can't say enough good things about it. Such a fresh concept, compared to all the standard sitcoms out there.

Comment

deebinem

macrumors regular
May 7, 2017
Pixelmator Pro isn’t worthy of much attention...

But Annihilation is an amazing movie.
Sure, it is visually stunning and explores some deep ideas but as a rabid Jeff Vandermeer fan, this movie deeply disappointed me.

I just hope someone doesn't completely ruin Bourne...

Last edited:
Comment

tfigs

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
The Good Place really an excellent show from the same creator of Parks and Rec. Another great ensemble show and Ted Danson is fantastic.

Comment

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Bit of a snooze fest on the Mac this year, then?

Pixelmator Pro is hardly any different to Pixelmator, which itself is an old app now.
I suspect it was a strategic award to make sure adobe gets very focussed.
[doublepost=1543961774][/doublepost]
was he not "black" enough for you Mac Rumors?
Obvious typo you have turned into a “j’accuse” moment. Well done. Not.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.