Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside picks for the top iPhone, iPad, and Mac apps and games of the year, Apple today shared charts featuring the Top Games of 2020 and the Top Apps of 2020, revealing the most popular free and paid apps and games during the year.

apple-top-apps-games-2020.jpg

Among Us! was the top free game of 2020, followed by Call of Duty: Mobile, Roblox, and Subway Surfers. Ink Inc. Tattoo Drawing was the number four free app, while Magic Tiles 3: Piano Game earned the fifth spot. Mario Kart Tour also made the list, earning the 15th spot.

Minecraft was the top paid game of the year, followed by Plague Inc., Heads Up!, Monopoly, Bloons TD 6, Geometry Dash, and NBA 2K20. Many of these games are often at the top of the charts at the end of the year, with Minecraft and Plague Inc. long holding top spots.

Zoom was the top free app on iOS devices, followed by TikTok, Disney+, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat. Top paid apps included TouchRetouch for quickly removing clutter from photos, Procreate Pocket, Facetune, HotSchedules, and AutoSleep Sleep Tracker.

Full Charts

Apple has sections in the Today center of the App Store where all of these apps can be downloaded for those interested.

Article Link: Apple Shares Top 20 Most Downloaded Games and Apps of 2020

Last edited:

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Are they really pretending Fortnite doesn’t exist? I get not wanting to promote it, but surely it’s been in the top twenty, despite getting yanked, no?
Considering Tim Sweeny, Epic Games CEO, has tweeted Macrumors articles before, I kind of wonder if you're Tim Sweeny?

Because the game isn't in the App Store and hasn't been for what will be 6+ months by the end of the year.

People who fake injury and cry wolf don't get awards dude.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Zoom was the top free app on iOS devices, followed by TikTok
That's not surprising at all.

With so many people stuck at home, it seemed like everyone and their moms were Zooming. And with the possibility of a ban on Tik Tok, people were probably rushing to get the app

cmaus

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Germany
And yet, Zoom on iPadOS keeps turning off the camera video if you multitask or even accidentally invoke Control Center or Notification Center. Then, file sending/receiving is still not possible within the chat of an ongoing meeting. Not usable for us as a school.
Not to mention that Zoom would be destined to have fleshed out mouse-/trackpad support on iPad, but lacks in that regard, too.
Until those issues are addressed, we can’t choose an iPad over a MacBook for Zooming.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Lol rigged. Apples lying can’t admit the truth lol. Such a farce. See through the veil peoples

/s.

waveman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
This is so, so ridiculous that I don't even know what to say. AppStore has been a joke for a long long time. It used to present you with app in a way that made sense, you could easily find a useful app, as there were only a few, and that remained till today. Right now, the AppStore is a marketing disaster and users are only for supporting it financially. The Stories and promoted apps is so misleading, that will actually make you believe that what they promote is the best at the moment, but they simply omit really useful apps, because there is currently no deal with the developer. Who pays more for promotion wins. And the biggest jokes is when it comes to the famous "App we love", because I've seen many really badly designed or completely useless apps in this category. The only thing they truly love is profit, and as I user I don't even go to AppStore exploring what's new as I used to - because it doesn't make sense anymore. They will try to shove in your pocket whatever it's good for their pockets. ?

Alwis

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2017
Can not agree more, the only way to find usefull Apps is a review e.g. in a magazine or on a web page. The times where I actually searched within the App Store ate long gone. And this is true for iOS and macOS.

One of the many things where I ask myself, if they are actually used by Apple employees...

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
For game quality, you have to go with Genshin Impact. It's seriously an amazing game. A one time pay model would still be better than the resin/wish model, but the pay elements are really not bad at all. I haven't spent a dime and I've played at least 20-30 hours with still an insane amount of content not even touched yet.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
I really don’t get the point of “Among Us”. I’ve played it a few times with my girlfriend and her son. Can someone explain why it’s a fun a game?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Am I just stupid or is there no link to see the full list in this article? Every link is to a Macrumors page.

Here's the link - https://apps.apple.com/us/story/id1535572935

MacRumors, I know Google loves it when you guys link to your various roundups and category pages in articles but the reader just wants to read the story you're talking about when writing an article.

Of the links on this page, I see:

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
For game quality, you have to go with Genshin Impact. It's seriously an amazing game. A one time pay model would still be better than the resin/wish model, but the pay elements are really not bad at all. I haven't spent a dime and I've played at least 20-30 hours with still an insane amount of content not even touched yet.

And yet no mention of Genshin Impact anywhere in MacRumors’ article... WTF? Am I missing something?

Seriously tho, this game is outrageously awesome. Hands down the best thing I’ve ever played in all my 38 years, I **** you not.

Reactions: psac and cateye

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
This is so, so ridiculous that I don't even know what to say. AppStore has been a joke for a long long time. It used to present you with app in a way that made sense, you could easily find a useful app, as there were only a few, and that remained till today. Right now, the AppStore is a marketing disaster and users are only for supporting it financially. The Stories and promoted apps is so misleading, that will actually make you believe that what they promote is the best at the moment, but they simply omit really useful apps, because there is currently no deal with the developer. Who pays more for promotion wins. And the biggest jokes is when it comes to the famous "App we love", because I've seen many really badly designed or completely useless apps in this category. The only thing they truly love is profit, and as I user I don't even go to AppStore exploring what's new as I used to - because it doesn't make sense anymore. They will try to shove in your pocket whatever it's good for their pockets. ?
ok boomer.

txH

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2020
So it now appears that most of the "top rated" arcade games require a subscription to play. Are people actually paying $4.95 a month to play Frogger?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Most the apps on the top 20 (most downloaded) list I don’t even use. When I do want to find a good app, I don’t have a problem searching the store. It’s not a problem for me to ignore their app marketing hype layout and suggestions.

Rickw1983

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2020
Apple has been holding millions of kids hostage who haven’t been able to play Fortnite with their friends because of greed, Apple has more money than God does yet they won’t put the popular game on the App Store all because of Tim Cook who doesn’t care about the kids. Cook is an evil man.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I really don’t get the point of “Among Us”. I’ve played it a few times with my girlfriend and her son. Can someone explain why it’s a fun a game?
It's fun when you have more than 8 people playing with friends. Less than that, and it's not fun at all. You better play something else.

Reactions: Santiago

Santiago

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2002
Mountain View, California

It's fun when you have more than 8 people playing with friends. Less than that, and it's not fun at all. You better play something else.
Yeah, I play with a steady group of 7-10 friends centered around a couple I know in real life, with Discord voice chat instead of typing, and it’s a fun social activity to do while hanging out with friends and laughing at alternating devious cleverness and resounding blundering. Playing with random internet strangers, by contrast, spunds stressful and unfun.

Eweie

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
Apple has been holding millions of kids hostage who haven’t been able to play Fortnite with their friends because of greed, Apple has more money than God does yet they won’t put the popular game on the App Store all because of Tim Cook who doesn’t care about the kids. Cook is an evil man.
lmao you people are absolutely deranged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.