Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has shared the trailer for its upcoming docuseries "1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything," which premieres May 21 on the Apple TV+ streaming service.

Hailing from Universal Music Group's Mercury Studios and On The Corner Films, the eight-part series announced last month is described as an immersive docuseries that will explore the musicians and soundtracks that shaped the culture and politics of 1971.
In a tumultuous era, 1971 was a year of musical innovation and rebirth fueled by the political and cultural upheaval of the time. Stars reached new heights, fresh talent exploded onto the screen, and boundaries expanded like never before.
The docuseries will provide a closer look at the most iconic artists and songs that we still listen to 50 years later, including The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, The Who, Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed, and more, according to Apple.

"'1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything,' will show how the musical icons of the time were influenced by the changing tides of history; and, in turn, how they used their music to inspire hope, change and the culture around them," says Apple.

Article Link: Apple Shares Trailer for Docuseries '1971: The Year That Music Changed Everything' Coming to Apple TV+ May 21

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Perfect. Every day one gets reminded of sound and music. 😞

Soon two weeks ago I managed to get some hearing loss on high frequencies on my left ear after listening to seemingly calm ”sleeping music” (albeit the sweeping synth in the background do go into the high frequencies at times) during the night in order to mask my tinnitus. So now music in the high frequencies sound a little different compared to what I'm used to...

So set a timer kids and/or let the ear rest for a couple of days as soon as the ears start to feel ”hallow” or ”full”!

I thought I was careful, but obviously not enough. :(

But happy to see this documentary anyway at some stage. :)

Edit:
Forgot to add I also got a low in volume, but high pitched tinnitus. Really devestated about my situation. 😞

Last edited:

TriApple

Contributor
Mar 16, 2011
This looks fantastic and better than I was hoping for from the prior info. It's before my time, personally, but total respect for the amazing music from this era and the impact it had culturally.

Lefteous

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
What about Pink Floyds 1971 album Meddle? The album is the first of the so called 'classic era' and includes the song echoes. But okay, maybe this music is just timeless?

Reactions: Bkxmnr and Razorpit

kb923689

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2019
Perfect. Every day one gets reminded of sound and music. 😞

Soon two weeks ago I managed to gets some hearing loss on high frequencies on my left ear after listening to seemingly calm ”sleeping music” (albeit the sweeping synth in the background do go into the high frequencies at times) during the night in order to mask my tinnitus. So now music in the high frequencies sound a little different compared to what I'm used to...

So set a timer kids and/or let the ear rest for a couple of days as soon as the ears feel ”hallow” or ”full”!

I thought I was careful, but obviously not enough. :(

But happy to see this documentary anyway at some stage. :)
I use the "reduce loud sounds" to the lowest setting on my iPhone and I barely have time to listen to a full album nowadays. But sometimes I do feel my ears weird. :(

• Love
Reactions: JEY

needsomecoffee

macrumors regular
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Might be limiting if all songs are 71 releases. E.g. this leaves out Jimi, and some of the great Nam protest songs (CCR). Hard to say "changed everything" without Jimi. Marvin Gaye's album was a 71 release thankfully. Inner City Blues at least as true today as in 71. Saw a flash of "The Osmonds". Really ?? If for no other reason, if this sells more Marvin streams the world will be a better place.

Razorpit

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2021
What about Pink Floyds 1971 album Meddle? The album is the first of the so called 'classic era' and includes the song echoes. But okay, maybe this music is just timeless?
Wow, talk about coincidence, my son and I listened to that album Sunday!

Reactions: Lefteous

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I use the "reduce loud sounds" to the lowest setting on my iPhone and I barely have time to listen to a full album nowadays. But sometimes I do feel my ears weird. :(
As long as you don't continue too long and too loud it should be okay, but if the ears start to ”feel” (and make a whooshing or hissing sound) then it means they are getting too much action and it's time for a break. I've read suggestions about 18 hours to be safe.

At the same time we shouldn't be afraid to use our ears. :)
Just be careful for long sound exposure (like all night), even at seemingly low or moderate volume the ears could get fatigued, but it also depends on the frequency of the sound/music – higher frequencies seems to be more risky. If the total volume is ”low enough” it's fine, but what counts as low enough depends also on the individual and the current condition of the ears. And distance to the sound source of course. Many parameters…

Best to take a break now and then and ”listen in” on the ears. :)

During daytime there's this listening rule called 60/60:

”…keep your time with headphones on limited to one hour per day and never raise the volume on your listening device over 60% of the maximum.”

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JEY and kb923689

TriApple

Contributor
Mar 16, 2011
Huge Pink Floyd fan, not one of my fave albums here but agree that Pink Floyd was force of the times in terms of musical influence. Wonder if they will have any citation in the documentary.

Reactions: Lefteous

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
'71 is definitely one of the more significant years, but the "year music changed everything?"

Come on, you could cite nearly any year from 1963 onward for that and make a fairly compelling documentary about it.
Some years did it for better. Some did it for worse. 1970 is one of the most prolific 'for the better,' years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.