Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the air date for its newest music-related documentary that will be shown exclusively on Apple Music, Kygo: Stole the Show. The documentary, which chronicles the life of Norwegian DJ and musician Kygo, will premiere on Apple Music on Wednesday, July 26.

Apple shared the air date in a new trailer that has been uploaded to the company's YouTube channel. Starting with the early stage's of Kygo's career, the documentary will follow his journey as he works his way up to a mega performance at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn New York, an event that took place in January of 2016.

The film offers fans a chance to see an intimate and unfiltered side of Kygo and his team as they prepare for an unprecedented moment in Kygo's career. The documentary features cameos from a few of Kygo's closest friends and collaborators including Steve Aoki, Lyor Cohen, Julia Michaels, Pete Tong, Martin Garrix, Parson James, and more. With an upcoming sophomore studio album due for release later this year, Stole the Show offers riveting insight into the artist's origin, creative process, and aspirations, along with never-before-seen behind the scenes footage, showcasing who Kygo is both on and off the stage.
Apple has been focusing heavily on exclusive video content for Apple Music in recent months, and Stole the Show will follow Can't Stop Won't Stop: A Bad Boy Story, the documentary that follows the rise of Sean Combs, aka "Puff Daddy," and the rise of Bad Boy Records throughout the 1990s. Can't Stop Won't Stop premiered as an Apple Music exclusive on June 26.

Other original content includes Planet of the Apps, which launched in June, and Carpool Karaoke: The Series, set to premiere on August 8.

Article Link: Apple Shares Trailer for 'Kygo: Stole the Show,' a New Documentary Coming to Apple Music July 26

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Good artist, like his music, but to me adds absolutely no value to Apple Music.

Edit:
The film offers fans a chance to see an intimate and unfiltered side of Kygo and his team as they prepare for an unprecedented moment in Kygo's career.

Movies like this don't make sense to me. The dude is just living his life doing what he loves. I don't see many documentaries about guys at offices, or moms at home, or teachers in the classroom who are without a doubt doing a much more important job.

Anyways, too busy living my life to waste 2 hours watching someone else's.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I get it. This is part of Apple's plan to eliminate Spotify. They simply don't have the resources to compete with Apple on this level. Business is brutal.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I get it. This is part of Apple's plan to eliminate Spotify. They simply don't have the resources to compete with Apple on this level. Business is brutal.

As a Spotify user, couldn’t care less about the video. Wouldn’t watch it even if I had Apple Music. What keeps me at Spotify is a superior ui, excellent curation, offline support, no ads of any kind and that it has been 100% hassle free, never had a issue with the apps.

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
"This is an artist that created his own sound"

Isn't that what all musicians do?

Not really. Just look at the number of artists that have other people write their music. Then there are those like Pharrell Williams that gets caught in copyright infringement for copying other songs.

Nothing says musician like a guy pushing play on his laptop
You can 'dumb down' any profession. After all, an artist only moves a brush, a photographer only presses a button, and a writer only puts words into a book.

Reactions: Keane16

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Lol. Sorry but Spotify crushes Apple Music; and as a Spotify user I could careless about a music video with some guy that makes beats on a computer hits play and dances around.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Kygo is great. I've seen him 3 times this year. I can't wait to watch it. Hopefully it will cover some of his performances I've been to.

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Any editors in the house notice the awful audio jump cut fifteen seconds into the trailer?

mrwuf

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Raleigh, NC

You're right, though I wish they'd do it with new features instead of videos. I like Kygo and I won't watch this. I'm there for music, not documentaries. I'd switch right away if they'd implement something like Spotify Running. I use that 3-4x/week, and I can't go without it now. Plus, I really like their personalized weekly Monday/Friday playlists.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Hardly the most influential or unique-sounding musician these days. He's been part of the show for what, a few years? Will he even last beyond this decade?

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007

There is no plan to "eliminate" Spotify. That would be stupid. A monopoly attracts unwanted attention from lawmakers. The market is big enough to support both, and people can choose what they prefer.

Just like there are alternatives to Macs, iPods, iPhones, iPads Apple Watches and Apple TVs. Apple isn't trying to eliminate the competition in those markets either.

As a Spotify user, couldn’t care less about the video. Wouldn’t watch it even if I had Apple Music. What keeps me at Spotify is a superior ui, excellent curation, offline support, no ads of any kind and that it has been 100% hassle free, never had a issue with the apps.

I switched to Apple Music due to the superior UI - for my needs getting in the car and telling Siri to play something beats anything I was was able to do with Spotify.

I used Spotify for years. In the UK it launched in 2009. Back then it was a desktop OS only app. And it had issues. Many, many issues, thankfully over time they were ironed out. I switched to Apple Music at launch due to Siri control (a big plus for me when driving). Apple Music too had issues at that time, but lately I've had no problems.

You can 'dumb down' any profession. After all, an artist only moves a brush, a photographer only presses a button, and a writer only puts words into a book.

Thank you. The way people dismiss others' work is annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.