Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared the trailer for the second season of space drama "For All Mankind," which is set to premiere on Friday, February 19.

Created by Ronald D. Moore, "For All Mankind" is a sci-fi series that imagines what the world might have been like if the global space race had never ended and the space program had remained a priority. The story is told through the lives of NASA astronauts and engineers, along with their families.

The second season of "For All Mankind" picks up in 1983, a decade after the first season. At the height of the Cold War, tensions between the United States and USSR are at their peak. Reagan is president and the US and USSR are fighting over the resources available on the moon.
Season two of the space drama picks up a decade later in 1983. It's the height of the Cold War and tensions between the United States and the USSR are at their peak. Ronald Reagan is president and the greater ambitions of science and space exploration are at threat of being squandered as the US and Soviets go head-to-head to control sites rich in resources on the moon. The Department of Defense has moved into Mission Control, and the militarization of NASA becomes central to several characters' stories: some fight it, some use it as an opportunity to advance their own interests, and some find themselves at the height of a conflict that may lead to nuclear war.
The show stars Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten, Sarah Jones, and Jodi Balfour. It's already been renewed for a third season.

Article Link: Apple Shares Trailer for Second Season of 'For All Mankind'

Reactions: ikir

swester

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I really was excited about this series (what a fantastic premise), and the first half of the pilot episode blew me away...but for some reason, I lost interest by the second episode or so. Worth sticking it through?

Reactions: ThaRuler

Kirkster

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2004
Canceled my Apple TV+ as I just never watched anything from there, my TV programing consumption is way down since they want to put everything into various places where they want you to pay 10 bucks a month to watch their content. So I am out. Will probably kill off FIOS tv as well since they just keep charging more and there is less content on it since the "studios" are all making their own pay to watch sites.

Reactions: Huck

WildSky

Contributor
Apr 16, 2020
East of the sun, west of the moon
odd that they didn't call it "for all peoplekind"
It's a reference to Neil Armstrong's "one giant leap for mankind" when he put his foot on the moon July 1969.

Reactions: Captain Trips

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Picks up 10 years later? Meaning 10 years after the first season ended? Why are they skipping ahead... I thought they were building up to something that needed answers.

Probably for dramatic effect. Reagan was more confrontational with the Soviets than Ford and Carter where. Concepts I think we could see:
  • Space Station Freedom
  • Strategic Defense Initiative
  • Vandenburg AFB Shuttle Launch Facility
  • A new race to be the first to put a person on Mars

Reactions: ConfusedChris

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Picks up 10 years later? Meaning 10 years after the first season ended? Why are they skipping ahead... I thought they were building up to something that needed answers.
If they didn't jump ahead in the timeline, there would be no realistic advances in technology and it would simply be a boring show about alternate reality politics and characters. The things that drives the show for fans is "what could've been" intersecting with the limits of current technology. Of course this means that the show cannot last more than 1 or 2 more seasons in its current form but it's always good to leave the audience wanting more.

Reactions: JulianL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.