Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a trailer for "Earth At Night In Color," an upcoming docuseries narrated by Tom Hiddleston, known for his role as Loki in the Marvel universe movies.

"Earth At Night In Color" uses next-generation cameras and technology to film animals at nighttime, revealing "new insights and never before seen behaviors." The series is set to launch on Friday, December 4. Episodes for the show were filmed across six continents, ranging from the Arctic Circle to the African grasslands.

Apple has picked up several documentaries in recent months, and "Earth At Night In Color" joins Werner Herzog's "Fireball," which launched last weekend, plus "Becoming You" and "Tiny World."

"Tiny World," narrated by Paul Rudd, looks at the world through the eye's of the world's smallest creatures using innovative camera technology, while "Becoming You" follows children across the world from birth to five years old to examine the ways that children learn to think, speak, and move.

Article Link: Apple Shares Trailer for Upcoming 'Earth At Night In Color' Docuseries

Reactions: Ar40

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I feel like all their animal documentaries have been on Netflix before? In a different edit

Attachments

• 1BD4B3C8-D05B-47D5-AC33-8ED5521E90B7.jpeg
    1BD4B3C8-D05B-47D5-AC33-8ED5521E90B7.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 606
  • 43B5B89D-FC18-44C2-ACAA-529031CF5F1C.jpeg
    43B5B89D-FC18-44C2-ACAA-529031CF5F1C.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 497

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I've never really understood the use (and expense) of using celebrities to do 100% off-screen narration of documentaries. Do people really go "omg Loki off of the Avengers is narrating a natural history series, must watch!"?

Sometimes I'll watch a documentary without realising it's a well known actor/actress doing the narration until I notice it in the credits at the end, which always leaves me thinking "oh, was that them?" but I never really feel what I've just watched was any better because of that.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Bravo AAPL !

Very interested in seeing Advanced Camera Tech used to capture Nature @ night !

Push the boundaries in every way possible !

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Non-fiction/doc series (especially nature) are a safe bet. But I'm okay with that. They should stick to things they know they can be good at until they find their footing.
Lol. They have found their footing. Apple TV+ had its footing right out of the gate. The quality is unquestionable and as good as HBO. It's just not enough quantity.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I've never really understood the use (and expense) of using celebrities to do 100% off-screen narration of documentaries. Do people really go "omg Loki off of the Avengers is narrating a natural history series, must watch!"?

Sometimes I'll watch a documentary without realising it's a well known actor/actress doing the narration until I notice it in the credits at the end, which always leaves me thinking "oh, was that them?" but I never really feel what I've just watched was any better because of that.
if the Voice is good. I don't mind. I liked narrations by Morgan Freeman, Tom Selleck, and Mike Rowe (the latter not as much of a celebrity but...) but sometimes the narration voices aren't quite as believable and then it seem a bit lesser.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Americans and the weird obsession with English Accents. This one is just bad.
Tom as the bad dude in avengers = good.
Tom as the bad narrator in apple documentary = meh.

Indeed
I most likely love Earth At Night In Color, except for the American narrator...Ugh, horrible.

All nature documentaries should be narrated by Christopher Gordon of Honey Badger fame!

Even worse.

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Was this all black magic cinema cam 4k? most of the night time footage I’ve seen from that looks like this.

Bark

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
Earth
I feel like all their animal documentaries have been on Netflix before? In a different edit
Yeah, started watching “Tiny” last night and all 3 of us had the “wait a minute, we have seen this before” feeling at the moment. I am pretty sure I have seen the low light one before too.
They have a year of the free with device to get me. So far they have not pushed me away but they certainly have not pulled me in.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
So is this another edited BBC production or one using footage for hire? I wonder how long we will have the opportunity to enjoy true nature at the rate things are being developed and deforested these days.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I love programs like this. I’ve been a frequent viewer of David Attenborough’s ‘Planet earth’ series in the past, which is also something I highly recommend On BBC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.