Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared the official trailer for "Cherry," an upcoming Apple TV+ film starring Tom Holland. Cherry is premiering in theaters on February 26, and will then launch on Apple TV+ on March 12.

Apple paid more than $40 million for the worldwide rights to "Cherry," which is directed by Anthony and Joe Russo. "Cherry" is a crime drama that's an adaptation of a novel by Nico Walker.

In "Cherry," actor Tom Holland plays a Cleveland man named Walker who joins the army after being spurned by a girlfriend. He becomes an Army medic in Iraq and is traumatized from the experience, suffering from PTSD.

Walker is prescribed Oxycontin to treat his PTSD, and that eventually leads to a heroin addiction. To pay for drugs, Walker begins robbing banks.

"Cherry" joins several other Apple TV+ movies including "Hala," "The Banker," and "Greyhound."

In other Apple TV+ news, Apple has ordered a two-part documentary that will focus on the like of Oprah Winfrey. The documentary will chronicle 25 years of American history through the lens of Oprah Winfrey's talk show.

apple-tv-website-redesign.jpg

Apple today also revamped the layout of the Apple TV+ website, bringing the design in line with the design of the Apple TV+ section of the Apple TV app for a more streamlined viewing experience when using the web.

Article Link: Apple Shares Trailer for Upcoming Tom Holland Movie 'Cherry'

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: decypher44 and Ar40

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
a Cleveland man named Walker who joins the army after being spurned by a girlfriend. He becomes an Army medic in Iraq and is traumatized from the experience, suffering from PTSD.

Walker is prescribed Oxycontin to treat his PTSD, and that eventually leads to a heroin addiction. To pay for drugs, Walker begins robbing banks.

So, is the army a gateway drug, or is being spurned by a girlfriend a gateway drug? Either way, heroin!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The plot sounds great. Just make it apolitical we’ll be good to go.
How can telling any kind of story about anything be apolitical? There is no facet of life or even place that can be depicted that isn’t the result of, been affected by, or carry a ton of political baggage. I guess if you eliminated all humans and activities from a story and merely showed an empty field blowing in the breeze for 2 hrs... lol no, it’d be a radical statement on wilderness preservation and wildlife conservation.

I think any thought conveyed between people through image or sound is going to carry political ramifications to someone. I guess I could embrace the subjective nature of it and decide that things I don’t personally have a problem with are apolitical, and everything else is political, though that seems like a good way to end up isolated with ones own ego, completely detached from reality.

In Atv+, dont see Apple shying away from topics that may upset fragile people, especially not in a story featuring everything in this trailer.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
The plot sounds great. Just make it apolitical we’ll be good to go.
That request is a little like asking for a documentary without an agenda or point of view. Many people don't understand that narrative storytelling requires an opinion on something and that it will invariably upset or trigger someone for some political or personal reason.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Looks good — Holland is a solid actor.

But another $40M — can investors on the next call ask how subscriber numbers are doing for Apple TV+ — surely it's not making much money, if any. How long can Apple keep spending on big name movies before someone pulls the proverbial plug?

Last edited:

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
This looks incredible. Action and compelling narrative. I wish the trailer hadn't given so much away though. This feels almost like a modern re-telling of Forrest Gump to me. The kid who goes through a million and one life experiences.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Looks good — Holland is a solid actor.

But another $40M — can investors on the next call ask how subscriber numbers for Apple TV+ — surely it's not making much money, if any. How long can Apple keep spending on big name movies before someone pulls the proverbial plug?
With $800B cash in the bank, a long long long time.

Apple TV+ is doing just fine. First year of a service with critically acclaimed series and movies galore? And award prestige? I think Apple is very happy with TV+ right now.

And, it's a brick in the services package provided by Apple One, so you have to look at the big picture.

And, ultimately, big names sell. They bring in the eyeballs and if this wins Holland an oscar it's going to be massive. Apple already gets the Russo Brothers/Tom Holland fanbase, award prestige or not. And this looks like a fun movie with some humor to it, not a dirgelike drama like many coming out these days, so it's gonna be massive for Apple if you take all that into account.

dawhol9

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2002
After that trailer, I feel like I’ve already seen everything that’s going to happen too.

They really gotta stop putting the entire film in the ad.

I hope I forget the entire trailer before I see the movie....They should only be allowed to show clips from the first 10-15min of the movie so we dont see spoilers in the trailer.

Reactions: TraceyS/FL

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX

Apple today shared the official trailer for "Cherry," an upcoming Apple TV+ film starring Tom Holland. Cherry is premiering in theaters on February 26, and will then launch on Apple TV+ on March 12.

Apple paid more than $40 million for the worldwide rights to "Cherry," which is directed by Anthony and Joe Russo. "Cherry" is a crime drama that's an adaptation of a novel by Nico Walker.

In "Cherry," actor Tom Holland plays a Cleveland man named Walker who joins the army after being spurned by a girlfriend. He becomes an Army medic in Iraq and is traumatized from the experience, suffering from PTSD.

"Cherry" joins several other Apple TV+ movies including "Hala," "The Banker," and "Greyhound."

In other Apple TV+ news, Apple has ordered a two-part documentary that will focus on the like of Oprah Winfrey. The documentary will chronicle 25 years of American history through the lens of Oprah Winfrey's talk show.

apple-tv-website-redesign.jpg

Apple today also revamped the layout of the Apple TV+ website, bringing the design in line with the design of the Apple TV+ section of the Apple TV app for a more streamlined viewing experience when using the web.

Article Link: Apple Shares Trailer for Upcoming Tom Holland Movie 'Cherry'
“Walker is prescribed Oxycontin to treat his PTSD”

Please tell me that this is an Mac Rumors goof up and not actually what happens in the movie. Because if it’s not, it’s quite possibly the stupidest thing I’ve read in while. No doctor would ever prescribe OxyContin to treat PTSD - the equivalent would be prescribing Xanax to treat a broken leg. They’d likely lose their medical license for prescribing a high powered opioid so blatantly off label.

Not to mention it’s nearly impossible to get Oxycontin prescribed nowadays, unless you’re in Hospice and close to dying. And, even then it’s a struggle — my mother was a hospice nurse for years, and would have to beg doctors to prescribe more powerful painkillers for her patients who were on their ****ing deathbeds. And that was ten years ago.

I’m a former Marine/Iraq Vet with diagnosed PTSD. Currently, Docs like to prescribe anti-anxiety meds like Lexapro or Zoloft, and BP meds like Clonidine, which works really well at keeping your “fight or flight” response from “pinging” all the time. And then, if you have sleep issues, they’ll prescribe meds like Trazadone and Remeron.

Klonopin and longer acting Benzos help, too, but those are getting harder and harder to get a doc to prescribe.

Not sure why I felt the need to write this; the filmmaker doesn’t have a time machine to go back and correct the stupidity in the script. But I just wanted to say, this is ********, and it makes Vets with PSTD look even worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.