Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today published new App Store guideline updates for developers, tweaking many existing guidelines and adding a new rule pertaining to the App Tracking Transparency requirement in iOS 14.5.

app-tracking-transparency-prompt-ios-14.jpg

The new 5.1.2(i) rule related to App Tracking Transparency requires developers to ask for explicit permission before tracking user activity, something that Apple has been planning to implement since iOS 14's release. Apple last week said that its App Tracking rules would be enforced starting with the next iOS update, which will be iOS 14.5.
5.1.2(i): Added: "You must receive explicit permission from users via the App Tracking Transparency APIs to track their activity. Learn more about tracking."
Coinciding with the new rule around App Tracking Transparency, Apple today highlighted the SKAdNetwork 2.2 and Private Click Measurement APIs that are available to developers as alternatives to more invasive user tracking methods.

SKAdNetwork 2.2 allows developers to display and measure ad effectiveness while preserving user privacy, while Private Click Measurement, an iOS 14.5 feature, lets ad networks measure the effectiveness of advertisement clicks within iOS apps that navigate to a website, but in a privacy-focused way.

App Tracking Transparency will be enforced when iOS 14.5 is released, and Apple has said that it expects the new update to launch in the early spring.

Apple's App Store Guidelines update also clarifies several existing rules and includes minor wording changes and tweaks, with a full list of changes available on Apple's developer site.

Article Link: Apple Shares Updated App Store Review Guidelines for App Tracking Transparency

Reactions: Captain Trips

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Honestly, I am kinda hoping that Facebook intentionally ignores the user’s choice. Because then Apple would finally have a good reason to kick them off the App Store.
Apple have had numerous good reasons to kick them off before, such as when they did this and this. But they never have, because they know it would be terrible for business.

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Honestly, I am kinda hoping that Facebook intentionally ignores the user’s choice. Because then Apple would finally have a good reason to kick them off the App Store.
Facebook did many things and Apple did nothing. When someone with an iPhone couldn't find Facebook app in the app store, they would complain to Apple. It's in the bottom line interest of Apple to keep Facebook in the app store despite them barking at each other.

InGen

Contributor
Jun 22, 2020
Could someone clarify, does saying no inhibit an application from knowing what a phones ID is in the first place or does it only “prevent” them from using it for tracking purposes?

Reactions: DoctorTech

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
The new ATT Rules could go down as a major inflection point in mobile.

Yes, companies like FB will get hurt the most.

But, many others will need to pivot fairly soon, OR they'll be forced to close up shop.

The trickle down affect could be significant.

ALL the way back to Apple, & impacting iPhone Unit Sales.

LarxJo

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
For many apps, People have the choice: be tracked and enjoy the app freely or pay.
Now people what to have the app free without giving anything back. It's kind of a robbery. It very clear on the UE pop-up what is done with their data. It's their choice they are tracked. They could pay 1$ but choose not tO.

Apple is all there about privacy. But this company has no moral... Not paying taxes, not respecting workers laws, treating Appstore employees as if they were thieves (even a watch "warehouse" where watches cost more than a car, more that a house is not treating their employees that way...). Using environment as a marketing, while they waste energy with the magsafe just for marketing, waste batteries resources for useless wireless devices...

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
For many apps, People have the choice: be tracked and enjoy the app freely or pay.
Now people what to have the app free without giving anything back. It's kind of a robbery. It very clear on the UE pop-up what is done with their data. It's their choice they are tracked. They could pay 1$ but choose not tO.

Apple is all there about privacy. But this company has no moral... Not paying taxes, not respecting workers laws, treating Appstore employees as if they were thieves (even a watch "warehouse" where watches cost more than a car, more that a house is not treating their employees that way...). Using environment as a marketing, while they waste energy with the magsafe just for marketing, waste batteries resources for useless wireless devices...
I just want to say, I don’t always agree with Apple on some of the stuff they do, but they do a lot more for their employees and the people working in their supply chain than probably any other company in the world. Plus, they pay the taxes they are required to pay - there is a reason they have financial lawyers and supper smart accountants - stockholders would lose their **** if Apple didn’t make sure they paid only what they had to. Just because Apple is worth tons of money, everything they do gets shifted through a very fine tooth comb, and people who don’t seem to understand how the world works get all judgmental about stuff.
And this wasteful wireless charging that you seem to hate - sadly the consumers what it. BUT, to make it less wasteful Apple decided to use a magnetic system

consumer gets what consumer wants = money.
consumer DOESN’T get what consumer wants != money.

plus, that rant about how the people are treated - yeah it sucks for them right now - but their lives would be much worse without it. Also, if you want to go pointing fingers, then you need to be pointing at the massive consuming and wasteful Western culture that has been rampant since the post-second world war.

Reactions: Captain Trips

peneaux

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020

Apple (Tim Cook) cares more about money than anything else. If Apple had integrity, it wouldn't be doing business in China (like when they handed over the servers).

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Looking forward to this feature. I don't use any of the known "worst offenders" such as FB but it will be interesting to see how many lesser known apps are tracking me.

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Overall this is a very good thing. Hopefully this will make some apps evolve to try to be effective without relying on the old 'ah screw it we'll just sell our users data' thing. I know its a very complex issue and the alternatives may be 'worse' in some ways - depending on how much tracking an application needs to function properly, it may become entirely unusable without giving them access to everything - but I'd still rather know explicitly whats going on and pick and choose as needed. RIP Facebook :D

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
Given that all the trolls keep bragging about how small Apple's share of phones and computers is, why is Facebook so concerned about the effect Apple honesty will have on their profits. They have all those Android users they can continue to rip off so should do fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.