Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today uploaded a new Apple Watch Series 3 ad to its YouTube channel, highlighting the Apple Watch Series 3 and its upcoming Apple Music integration. The video was first shown on stage during Apple's iPhone-centric event earlier this week.

The ad features a skateboarder listening to music streamed from his Apple Watch to the AirPods while he performs a series of skateboard tricks.

With Apple Watch Series 3 models that feature cellular connectivity, Apple Music songs will be able to be streamed directly to the device over an LTE connection, no iPhone needed.

An Apple Music subscription and an iPhone 6 or later with the same service provider and wireless service plan are required to enable the Apple Music streaming feature on the Apple Watch Series 3.

Apple has not revealed how streaming music will affect the battery life on the Apple Watch. With most tasks over LTE, battery life is impacted. A phone call over LTE, for example, will drain the Apple Watch's battery in just an hour.

Apple says the Apple Music streaming feature is coming soon to the Apple Watch Series 3.

Article Link: Apple Shares Video Highlighting Apple Music Streaming Over LTE on Apple Watch Series 3

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
So you can't ask your Apple Watch 3 to play music from your iTunes library that's already on your iPhone hard drive?

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
It is said this ad was shot on the train station in Ukraine, I’d like to know the story behind this ad.

NeXT MacRumors

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011

Apple today uploaded a new Apple Watch Series 3 ad to its YouTube channel, highlighting the Apple Watch Series 3 and its upcoming Apple Music integration. The video was first shown on stage during Apple's iPhone-centric event earlier this week.

The ad features a skateboarder listening to music streamed from his Apple Watch to the AirPods while he performs a series of skateboard tricks.

With Apple Watch Series 3 models that feature cellular connectivity, Apple Music songs will be able to be streamed directly to the device over an LTE connection, no iPhone needed.

An Apple Music subscription and an iPhone 6 or later with the same service provider and wireless service plan are required to enable the Apple Music streaming feature on the Apple Watch Series 3.

Apple has not revealed how streaming music will affect the battery life on the Apple Watch. With most tasks over LTE, battery life is impacted. A phone call over LTE, for example, will drain the Apple Watch's battery in just an hour.

Apple says the Apple Music streaming feature is coming soon to the Apple Watch Series 3.

Article Link: Apple Shares Video Highlighting Apple Music Streaming Over LTE on Apple Watch Series 3

This ad doesn’t really showcase the LTE ability of the Apple Watch. A better ad would be a beach video or showing that someone stepped away from their watch far enough. For example at a water park or doing flips on a trampoline.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Hopefully this will motivate Spotify to make an Apple Watch app with offline music.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
One hour talk time on the Watch? Wow. We really need to step up battery tech. Forget the damn Hyperloop!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Streaming music could (should) be considerably more efficient than a phone call. A phone call requires a constant connection and use of the radio circuitry. Streaming music, you could connect, download the whole song or even multiple songs (would only take a few seconds over LTE), then disconnect and shut down that circuitry, only occasionally powering up and re-connecting to fetch new data (more often if the user is skipping around to different songs a lot).

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
All the LTE stuff will be amazing the few times you go without your phone. Just remember your Watch charger since you will need that every two hours..

Reactions: bernuli

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
One hour talk time on the Watch? Wow. We really need to step up battery tech. Forget the damn Hyperloop!

Haha, agreed!
[doublepost=1505564323][/doublepost]
Streaming music could (should) be considerably more efficient than a phone call. A phone call requires a constant connection and use of the radio circuitry. Streaming music, you could connect, download the whole song or even multiple songs (would only take a few seconds over LTE), then disconnect and shut down that circuitry, only occasionally powering up and re-connecting to fetch new data (more often if the user is skipping around to different songs a lot).

LTE Apple Music Battery life is about 10 hours, so yes. (Up from 6.5 hours on prev gen)

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
In all the talk about music streaming over LTE on the Watch, the concern seems to be the battery and no one raises the question of data usage. For all the folks who use Apple Music or one of the other streaming services on their phone - and I'm assuming a lot of people are, because I see it mentioned a lot in threads - how are you folks coping with how fast it eats your data plan? I could see using the watch for half an hour a day becoming very expensive.

As an example: on my machine, a 2.5kHz reference tone with a bit rate of 256Kbps and a duration of 12 seconds takes up 389KB. A typical song would be about 20 times that length, for a total of 7.6MB, and thats just for a discrete tone. Music would have a heck of a lot more information. An hourlong album at 256k would be over 115MB. A typical data plan of 2GB/month would be gone in less than 20 hours of use. A Watch owner could conceivably make that work if they just used the Watch for a half hour commute daily, assuming they didn't use any other services on their phone.

That could be blue sky though. I observed one of the people on my plan burn up 100MB in about 30 minutes using Pandora on their phone. I just don't see how anyone makes streaming work on a data plan, unless its unlimited and those are not that easy to find for a reasonable price.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I saw this commercial at least 10 times yesterday while watching the NFL.

Good ad overall. I like the track playing as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.