Apple shifts Macbook production to Quanta, does it mean better quality control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RX64MACBOOKPRO, Jul 15, 2009.

1. RX64MACBOOKPRO macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

http://9to5mac.com/macbook-foxconn-hon-hai-quanta

As our current MacBook Pros are assembled & manufactured by Foxconn, Apple is shifting to have Quanta Computer in 2010 to assemble and manufacture the next Macbook Pros. Somehow, Foxconn has a hit or miss on quality control, especially the issues we encounter like warped lids, dust under the glass, dead pixels, bad ram, black screen of death, video artifacts, etc...

Does this CHANGE of manufacturers mean better quality control?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You won't get a definite answer but my hope is yes.

3. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

It depends on the thresholds. Foxconn is very capable of handling the manufacturing. The question is how much tolerance for issues such as dust and dead-pixels. It ends up being a numbers game; it is cheaper to replace x% of machines rather than spend $x on a quality control process (like dust and screens). This is especially true because, unlike the population of this forum, the average user does not even notice certain issues.

The bigger driver of the current quality control is Apple, not their selected OEM.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I think Apple might be doing this for other reasons, perhaps to cut costs EVEN MORE. It's kind of sad how badly quality control has been for Apple since the Intel switch. I feel like every time I come to this forum there is some sort of major issue going around (whether it be screens, scratches, dents, etc.). Hopefully this switch is for the best, not to cut costs.

5. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

You also got to remember that since the Intel switch a lot of people (including myself) jumped onto the mac platform because finally it had a decent processor and laptops that weren't way behind the times. I don't care what people said about Powerbook G4's. They were slow. And I've been a mac fan all my life so I'm not here to bash.

So with the Intel switch, theres more macs out there and more macs means more problems are being reported but prob still realativly low per the % of macs out there.

6. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Yeah, but the suck part now is how Apple is getting pressured to bring their prices down. DONT DO IT APPLE!!! We don't want you to end up as just a simple PC manufacturer who sells lots of notebook but doesn't have a healthy profit margin for proper R&D!!!

7. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

So is Quanta a better manufacturer?
    Just checked my wife's HP DV5 and it says it's manufactured my Quanta. :confused: