apple ship to store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ProwlingTiger, Apr 10, 2008.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Sorry if this question has been answered before but...google was down...or didnt get me the results i needed rather lol.

I'm going to Washington, D.C., this June (after WWDC08). In my travel, I am planning at an Apple store in Virginia while I'm around there (no Apple stores in my home state :eek: ) I was wondering if I could build and buy a custom laptop through apple.com and have it shipped to the store.

Now you're probably saying "Idiot send it to your house!". But in short, I'd rather open it in-store in case of defects or anything, and to match up some accessories. But with the limited availability of Apple stores nationwide, I guess this may not be a commonly asked for option, so no worries if I cant. I'll just probably nab a prebuilt in the DC-area.

-PT

PS. On a side note, check what I found when googling for an Apple store. I sure hope the guy was kidding in his review....

[​IMG]

Sorry for the .bmp, I'll convert soon, errored but no time right now.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How long are you going to be in the area? Custom laptops ship from Shanghai, China and you may not be in the area long enough.

Depending on what you want to do, they may be able to do it at the store. You should call them and ask. Good luck.

3. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Assuming this would work, I'd be prepared to order 1-1.5 weeks ahead of my arrival. Kind of hurts though, with WWDC the second week, and possible redesigns...bleh I may just give them a call anyway and see the possibility of shipping it to a store.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

a friend of mine asked around at several Apple stores in the los angeles area and was told that they wouldn't let him have it shipped to the store for pick up, but other people have said they've been able to do it at their local stores.

Best to call the particular store and find out what their policy is

5. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Thanks, I will have to try that. Perhaps I'm being too.....demanding? OCD? Just, I kind of want to open in store in case something is wrong....but there again I'd probably have to go through another set of hoops to get it returned and reshipped....

6. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

Don't forget that if you send something like a MacBook Pro to a different shipping address, then Apple will most likely ask for photo I.D.s of some sorts, such as passport, driver's licence, utility bill.

That'll slow down the process and possibly even stop it.

7. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yeah, dont have a passport, but always carry 2 forms of ID with me.

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Think Positive Bro.

Nothing will go wrong with machine. Apple are normally extremely good with shipping. Why do you suspect that something might be wrong with it?

9. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Dunno, but common sense is telling me that opening one in store is better than opening it at home.

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

Remember that retail Apple stores can repair any Mac, but they generally can't replace custom-built Macs.

For example, if you get to the store, open the box, and (gods-forbid) your custom-built notebook won't turn on, they won't have another brand-new notebook of the same custom specs as yours to immediately replace yours with (like they would have if you had purchased a stock configuration). My guess is that you'd want to have that DOA notebook replaced with a new one, not left at the store overnight for repairs...

You'd have to ship yours back (at Apple's expense, obviously) and have another custom-built notebook be manufactured and shipped to you.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Remember that doing any CTO on a machine means you cannot get an exchange for a new machine if there is a problem -- it has to go through warranty repair, even if it's DOA, so your idea of opening it in the store buys you very little extra protection. Obviously, you can install your own RAM. I'd be inclined to buy your own hard drive, and get an AASP to install it so you don't b0rk your warranty.