Apple Shipped My iMac from China?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cah87, Aug 10, 2007.

1. cah87 macrumors regular

uhhh, i was talking to a rep on the phone and bought a new iMac. I also paid for overnight shipping because she said i would have it today. So today i look at my tracking number wondering where my iMac is and it says

Tracking number
    Ship date
    Aug 09, 2007

Reference
    Destination
    Service type
    IP Direct Distribution
    Weight
    13.2 kgs.

Status
    In transit

Date/Time

Activity

Details

Aug 10, 2007 12:28 PM

Left origin

SHANGHAI CN

11:58 AM

Picked up

SHANGHAI CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff

soo im like wha?

2. Toddgabweg macrumors member

Toddgabweg

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Demand based manufacturing.

It is cheaper to ship directly from the company that manufactures the product than have stateside based storage/warehousing facilities. This method keeps inventory to a minimum and allows for faster changing of product lines without the normal inventory issues.

4. cah87 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i totally understand. However i paid for overnight shipping which i didn't receive because its not being shipped from CA, but from China.......

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

In all honesty, that person you ordered your iMac was a rather generous in saying you'd have the iMac the day after ordering. Since FedEx only does weekend deliveries in select locations, I'd gamble that you'd receive your iMac on Monday or Tuesday.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Fed Ex isn't a great service and I wouldn't pay extra for faster shipping. Regardless of whether or not you get free shipping or expedited, it all comes within 3-7 days for most things.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Uh, I see. My bad.

Sounds like they gave you incorrect information on shipping times. FedEx cannot ship overseas in the same timeframe that they can ship within the US. I bet in the fine print it states something to the effect that overnight shipping from overseas locations really means 2-3 days. But who reads the fine print?

The sales person should have provided more accurate information in this case.

8. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

ya mine too
    from shanghi and knows its in anchoradge, alaska
    should be here on the 15 :D

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Direct from the factory, at least Apple is not charging you the EMS, which for an iMac I would think could be a couple hundred dollars. Although Apple does have shipping contracts.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

All you have to do is call apple, or send them an email on the store website online. They will refund the expedited shipping charge.

11. cah87 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i know that is why i was shocked to see it being shipped from China, i knew that because it was leaving from China i wouldn't get it today lol. I'm hoping for Monday / Tuesday i will keep you all updated.

12. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Rickay726

apple ships all of its stuff from china casue its cheaper

13. brian0526 macrumors regular

I ordered last week and got a shipment notification on Saturday (which surprised me). Today, it says I also missed the shipping cut off and that my machine is in Shanghai, CN. There's no way FedEx gets that to my house by the 15th using anything but air service. So, I'm confused. Does Apple really ship single machines from China and using Air Service so they arrive in just 2-3 days?

Anyway, we'll see when it gets here. I found this VERY surprising though.

Peace,
    Brian

14. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I've had a few things shipped to me from Apple via Shanghai, I've always been impressed with the time it takes to get to the Midwest....usually it's a day or two earlier than I expected. The estimated delivery time on the FedEx tracking page is fairly accurate too - I've never had any problems with it :)

allison.

15. cah87 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i got mine today two days earlier then Fed Ex's tracking number said it would take, I'm thrilled

16. brian0526 macrumors regular

This is my first purchase from the Apple website (normally, I pick my machine up at the Apple Store, but I wanted a bigger hard drive).

I ordered 08/08. The site said:

Ships by:

Aug 13 - Aug 15

Delivers by:

Aug 15 - Aug 21

It shipped two days (assuming it actually did ship on the 11th) earlier than they promised. It is now saying delivery on August 15th, which would be AMAZING from China given that I am in Ohio.

17. bonafide macrumors regular

Given the info posted on this thread about shipping. I phoned Apple and had a word with them about 'expediated' shipping; which I paid for even though I am still awaiting my iMac.

Apple was more then helpful with my concerns and offered me a refund on my expediated shipping charges, which I gladly accepted.

A+ in my books for Apple. Keeping the customer happy!

18. robvia macrumors member

HP does the same thing, they ship directly from Shanghai CN.

Get this, I ordered replacement iPod headphones for the daughter. She wanted the original, and I didn't want to buy a knockoff on E-bay. So I paid the $29. Guess where they're shipping from? Yep, China.