Apple shipping...doesn't this seem kind of silly?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MattG, Jul 21, 2008.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

We just ordered 12 iPod Shuffles at work. Not to be nitpicky or anything but I found this odd...wouldn't it have been easier and/or more cost effective for them to have shipped these in one big box?

Attached Files:

2. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I don't understand. If all 12 tracking numbers are the same, doesn't that mean they're all in the same package?

[Edit] No. No. I'm an idiot. Ha. :D

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The bigger companies get, the less sense they make. Which is why Appple needs to charge iPod touch users for firmware *grumble*

A company we buy from at work insists on shipping UPS, no matter how big the shipment. Can you imagine how much 48 cartons (~2000lbs) costs to ship INDIVIDUALLY (not on pallets) from China to Montreal to Vancouver via UPS Air???

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Not that much as they'll have a bulk discount.

5. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Depending on the item, its better to order from a place like newegg.com or the like, where there is no shipping on some items, or in bulk.

My mac book was bought from an online reseller in Maine. It did not cost me tax or shipping. A savings of near $200

6. tsvb macrumors 6502

I would have made a special call to see if I could have gotten this shipped in one package. Though they should all arrive on the same day at the same time anyway right?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm confused here.....they all appear to be the same shipping number, wouldn't that mean they're in one box?

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

There should be only 2 possibilities here. Either they are in the same physical box, which seems less likely, or, they are individual boxes, in one order. Same number would be used for one order. I have seen this at work when we order parts that arrive in different boxes.

9. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

The other half of the shipping numbers are blurred out, for confidentiality :cool:

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It would make a lot more sense if they charged you for shipping 24 times.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But they're different? I've never known UPS to use consecutive tracking numbers

12. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I used to be the receiving guy at my last gig. It is absolutely normal and common for UPS to use consecutive numbers when shipping multiple packages like this. It really just depends on how fast the guy entered the packages into the system.