Apple Shopping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FrogTastic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. FrogTastic macrumors regular

Nov 20, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Ive never purchased anything from :apple: directly in store, so I thought I would give it a try.

So i decided to go grab an iPad2 last week. Called the Regent Street :apple: store to confirm stock, jumped into a cab and headed there.

Walked into the store, asked the first :apple: Sales person for a white iPad 2 32GB wifi. To which she answer - " We only have wifi". I answered - "I want wifi". "go stand in that Q and someone will help you".

Got into the Q, made to the front - "White iPad 2 32GB wifi please". To which the :apple: cashier answered - " We only have wifi". I answered - "I want wifi". "Go upstairs and someone will help you".

Headed upstairs, asked the first free :apple: staff memeber -" Could I have a white iPad 2 32GB wifi". Replied - " We only have wifi". I answered - "I want wifi". "Go stand in that Q and someone will help you!"

Headed to the Q, literally in the middle of the floor. Finally got to the front of the Q, after having to listen to 3 Apple Staff member discussing their lives and loves with eachother for 5 minutes, infront of the Q of 10 people waiting. "White iPad 2 32GB Wifi please" - I asked. :apple: Guy - " We only have wifi". I answered - "I want wifi".

So after 45 minutes of getting messed around, staff clearly too involved with having their blue tee's and how cool they are. I got my iPad 2. Its not like the store was crazy and they dont have enough staff. I just wonder, why is it so difficult to buy something from :apple: direct and why they hiring kids than clearly dont give a crap.

Ive been a Mac user for quite sometime now, but doubt Ill visit an :apple: store again.
  2. tersono macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    It's not like that everywhere. I've bought from the Kingston store several times and they've always been very helpful and attentive (despite usually being very busy).
  3. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2011
    Weird. Have had nothing but quick, friendly, and efficient service in both the Regent St. and Covent Garden stores.
  4. r0k macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    I had a bit of a disappointment with staff at the Somerset (Detroit area) store where they wasted my time trying to prove I had dunked my iPod Touch in liquid. I wound up getting a replacement through AppleCare over the phone. I had to do without my device for days while I waited for shipping. Then I had to go out in the rain to pick it up at a fedex depot because I wasn't willing to go online and waive the signature and nobody could sit at the house all day waiting for the delivery.

As for shopping at the Somerset store, I tend to avoid the place because it's always crazy crowded. When I do shop there, I find I get decent service. I picked up my Macbook there, several Mac Minis there, my son's Macbook Pro there, my iPad there and my iPhone 4 there. I was impressed with the service on all those occasions but I did make an effort to time my most of visits so they weren't during peak hours or right after a new Apple product announcement. The exception to avoiding crowds was when I picked up my iPad on 4/3/2010 after waiting in line. I got there shortly before the store opened and was on my way with my 16GB wifi iPad about 30 minutes later. I was impressed that all my contacts, etc were on the iPad before I left the store (via MobileMe).

The other day I noticed 64 GB 3G iPad 2's just sitting there in a local Target store but the lower priced models were all sold out. Around here you can get an iPad 2 if you're willing to buy the more expensive models.
  5. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    That's absolutely not how it's done at most stores.

At the Apple Store here, they got a person with tickets with model on it. You get a ticket.
  6. r0k macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    Interesting. I never noticed the tickets at Somerset. Perhaps that's because I tend to shy away on the busier days.