Apple shortchanging some Watch combinations

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JS77, Sep 11, 2015.

1. JS77, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

JS77 macrumors regular

So... I've been holding from buying an Apple Watch for a while but on the back on WatchOS 2.0, figured I'd go ahead and purchase.

However, it seems Apple have quietly removed some Watch combinations which forces you to purchase a strap you don't want and then purchase the actual strap separately.

The Apple Watch with Black Leather Loop is no longer an available option (at least in the UK) which means you have to spend £599 for the blue leather loop combination and then purchase the black at an additional £129.

Seriously, Apple can tout "Our most personal device yet" all they want.. this is BS.

Edit: You also can't buy the normal stainless steel with a black strap - only the black stainless steel....

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just buy the base SS model (with the sport band) and the black leather loop separately. Sell the sport band if $49 is such a hardship for you.

They now have significantly more colors and can only stock so many combinations to be practical. Research also shows that it's counterproductive to the customer in terms of decision making when faced with too many options at once in front of them.

3. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are anything like me, you'll be turbo buying every nice 3rd party strap that comes on the market anyway, rendering your initial choice somewhat inconsequential.

4. Mercifull macrumors regular

Mercifull

You appear to be correct (at least online) but I bought a Steel Apple Watch with Black leather loop last weekend from the Apple Store in Bath without quibble.

5. JS77 thread starter macrumors regular

Spoke to an online Apple Rep and they confirmed they have removed some buying combinations.... sucks for those who want to order them as it means shelling out more and ending up with straps you ay not like/want/need

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The standard black black leather buckle has been redesigned

7. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I wish Apple would change the offerings to a few core SKUs and then BTO options based on mix of body and band. As it is, they have a lot of permutations, so it is improbable that Apple could offer the SKUs that everyone would truly want. So the selections end up being a compromise for many. When you go into order a luxury car, you can do the killer BTO combinations that essentially let you create a unique product. Apple has around 500 potential SKUs with all of the body, color, size, and band combinations. For a lot of people, you have to throw away $50 to get to the desired watch and band combination.

For example, if they offered better selections, I would have ordered a space gray with either a black leather loop or blue leather loop. But, I had to settle for a black sport band.

8. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

Any other company would have everything BTO and ship you two boxes, one for the body and one for the strap. But this is Apple and they want a great experience opening the box and taking out your piece of "jewellery" ready to go.

Plus it forces some people to buy straps they don't really want and making them "upgrade" to their real choice.

9. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Really? So all other watch manufacturers do this, including smartwatches?

10. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I can't think of any. The closest I can think of is, decades ago, Rolex would sell you a cheap rubber Tropic strap, if you didn't want to buy the bracelet.

Most watch manufacturers offer far less strap choices and combinations than Apple, and they don't sell the watch head on its own.

11. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Or, Apple could create the logistics to package a BTO watch in a single box. This could be a supplement to a few core SKUs, not the only path for ordering a watch. I think the space gray sport accounted for a massive percentage of all orders (just two SKUs). With a few more core SKUs, they could probably account for more than 90% of the purchase volume and then offer BTO for the last few percentages of all purchases.

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Because of all the straps they offer and then the different watched... they really need to take a cure from Michele brand watches and sell the watch separately from the watch. That way you get the finish and color watch you want and the band(s) you want and you don't end up with a band you don't want!

13. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Good thing I didn't wait too long. I bought the shiny SS on the black sport band because I felt the polished steel would be more versatile than blackened steel. If I purchased now, I'd be stuck with either the white band or the space black watch.