Apple should allow configuring (CTO) iPhones (and iPads)!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NickPhamUK, Sep 16, 2013.

?

Multiple choices for consumers?

1. Yes, please. The more the merrier.

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Not too sure.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. NickPhamUK, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Some people want 3.5" back.
    Some want Apple to retain the 4" screen.
    Some want bigger (4.5-4.7").

How about releasing 2/3 models at the same time? It doesn't hurt Apple if they do so right? Look at macbooks, the Air has 11" and 13", and the pro has 13 and 15" (previously also 17"). Give consumers choices. For example, extend the colour range. Expand the storage capacity to 128GB. Besides the standard models, let consumers order the phone online and configure (like how we do with our Macs) to our heart's content: 3.5", 4" or 4.7", 1GB or 2GB RAM, A6 or A7, the standard 1500 mAh, 2300 mAh or 3000 mAh battery (only available with the 4.7" model), along with different colours and storage capacities. Bring the engraving service (that you do with iPods) to the iPhone. The base models (with A6, 1GB RAM) are designed to be usable enough for most of us; and those who do lots of gaming, iMovie and open a lot of safari pages simultaneously for example, will need a stronger spec.

We want each iPhone to be unique, not the same boring, massively produced, standardised phones. We want choices.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What you want is the Phoneblok. Not sure if this will ever happen.

Apple will never give you what you're asking for. They can't garner the cost advantages of using the same parts for all of their phones. If they sell 40 million iPhones this quarter and 80% of them have 4" screens, then they can get quantity discounts and priority status from their suppliers. If those 40 million phones are spread out with 20%-3.5", 50%-4", 30%-4.6", then they lose a significant advantage.

As for why they do it for Macs ... that's a different beast. The main thing is that Macs garner higher profits per unit. Plus, they've always done it that way.

3. NickPhamUK thread starter macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I know that Apple doesn't usually listen to its customers, because those who want Apple to change for the better, or Apple enthusiastics, like me, account for a small percentage of its customer base, like 5%. The rest, like my parents, they couldn't care less if the iPhone they are using is packed with 1GB of RAM or not, A6 or A7... they just want a phone that works.

Now, the reason why Samsung sells a lot more smartphone then Apple (and recently, the profit they've gained from the smartphone industry exceeds that of Apple) is due to the fact that they give consumers a massive set of choices. You look at Samsung page now and count how many models they have. Those phones more or less look the same, do the same job, but each person will find his or her own need. Some like the Note 2 because of the sheer screen size and the stylus, some like the smaller S4, some with a lower budget will aim for a mini or grand, some with not so much cash will buy a Galaxy Y. I mean, Samsung does very well in the sense that they cater for a very large range of people. Everyone will find something that suits their need.

Apple can do the same. They will still sell the standardised models in Apple Store. But along with that, allow consumers to configure their phones if needed. That way, Apple will gain a much larger customer base.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Let's be honest, this is something Apple would never do. Let alone any other company. It's just not a good idea production-wise.

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I think the type of options you have imagined = impossible....so far everything you have mentioned could not exist in a CTO form and most of it just doesn't make sense when you put even a select group of such options together....thats just my honest 2 cents...

----------

Not to mention on the Mac's you can only change few things:
    - Processor
    - RAM
    - Storage

those 3 things could not exist in a smartphone if they were an option...one could not make a smartphone run better by simply adding more RAM to it...there are lots of factors that come into play when it comes to CTO configurations...hence why apple still limits those as well so customers have the best possible experience rather than "what they thought" was going to be good.

Also optimizing the mobile OS would make it difficult for App Stores App developers....we have seen whats happening with Android...poor quality apps (I'm not saying this but google some serious reviews by major tech sites and they clearly point out the quality of the Apps on Android vs Apple App Store)

lastly, mobile OS is not as advanced as the desktop OS(s) is/are yet!

6. NickPhamUK thread starter macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

While I know my idea is impractical now, but in 2-3 years down the road, who knows? Apple knows best how to generate the most profit and will do whatever they feel is needed, but I'm just bringing this point in a consumer's perspective. But it's kinda true that fragmentation will be a huge headache.