Apple should be using dual camera tech where they actually need it: in the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timshundo, Aug 16, 2016.

1. timshundo macrumors regular

I was using photobooth today and could help but notice the stagnating quality of the cameras in the most recent macbook pro compared to iPhone. As display lids get thinner Apple has hit a ceiling with how much quality they get out of their cameras, so they should just stick two in there side-by-side if dual-lens technology is really what it's chalked up to be. We don't even need better resolution, just IQ.

[​IMG]

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

What does dual camera do? Does it take two pictures, one each, and superimpose them in areas? Or pick the better of the two?

3. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

depends for what they we're designed.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Still, iPhone being the most used digital camera of them all, it's where this tech makes most sense and will find most use.
    I don't think MBP even appears in any of the stats of popular cameras ;)
    500px
    flickr

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I looks crazy enough with people using iPads to take picture.. Now you want them to run around with the MBPs and do it? o_O

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I'll bite -- on a phone or laptop then?

7. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

The times i have used my camera on my MBP can be counted on 2 hands...
    I know that there is some people out there who uses it more frequently, but this is not a priority for apple. and if the limits of the camera is display thickens, i will go with the display anytime

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oh yeah because we see many photographers using a laptop to take pictures.....

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I'm just waiting for a better camera on the iMac! Can't wait to lug that around, snapping photographs... :p

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm guessing the stagnating quality is due to the fact that iPhone cameras (and sadly even iPad's) are used for general photography, i.e., going to disneyworld and taking pictures of your kids. When was the last time you saw someone take a picture of their kids on space mountain with their MBP? :eek:

Its used only for facetime, and so Apple has opted to use lower quality sensors given the lack of need for high quality cameras in a laptop

11. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Weren't laptop cameras originally provided for Skype and similar applications? Web chats, I believe they're called. Personally, I think there's far too much inane chatting in the world, and what's the point being on the other side of the globe if people can still grin at you and talk rubbish? Further, pointing a camera at yourself is a borderline perversion. So Macbooks don't need two cameras, they don't really need any.