Apple should drop the names and numbers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 5, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Apple should really drop the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S crap. This does nothing but cause most of the whining about why there is no iPhone 5. They should simply call it

iPhone

Just take a look at the iPod Touch, the MacBook Pro, the iPod Nano, etc. You do not use a MacBook Pro 5, nor an iPod Touch 4.

Drop the '2' from iPad as well.

This would solve a lot of the naming confusions etc. Just come out with the new updated products, no need for names.

2. frostbit3 macrumors member

Then how would they differentiate from the 3 different iPhone's that will be sold starting the 14th? (3GS/4/4S)

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

I don't dislike the idea, but then what do I say when I go into a store and have to tell them whether I want an 3Gs, 4, or 4S?

4. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

But with the macbook and ipods u have to specify which generation/year you own. In the end it would just be the same. You have to have some way to differentiate the products (name wise). Apple just decided to try something new with the iPhone, and I personally like saying the iPhone 4 than the iPhone 4th gen.

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The problem with this is Apple only sells one generation of Macs & iPods at a time. Apple sells multiple generations of iPhone at the same time.

I really doubt Apple wants its customers to go in and say "I want to buy that old iPhone."